Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: How much for a Pedigree Dorset ram?  (Read 1169 times)

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
How much for a Pedigree Dorset ram?
« on: August 15, 2017, 05:00:42 pm »
Hi

Could anyone give me a ballpark figure for how much a 2 year old proven Dorset ram might fetch please (private sale not market). Not MV accredited and I do accept it's a bit like 'how long is a piece of string ' but would appreciate it if anyone could suggest a rough realistic figure

Many thanks

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: How much for a Pedigree Dorset ram?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 10:07:58 pm »
I'm going to stick my neck out and say somewhere between £100 and £2,000 depending on the size of his balls (of string, naturally  :innocent: ).

Seriously though, can you look up previous auction sale reports? That will give you an idea of the maximum paid and the average on any given day.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 10:26:52 pm »
I would say that assuming he's a good size and shape and sound condition but of no outstanding breeding, then about £250ish. More if he is of particularly good and well known breeding and proportionally impressive to look at.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Paul and Caroline

• Joined Apr 2014
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 08:55:58 am »
Thanks guys

I am enquiring on behalf of a smallholder neighbour who 'doesn't do' 'tinternet etc. I have seen this ram and he is a strong looking boy. One of his lambs from this Spring is weighing in at 50kg already so it would appear he has plenty of lead in his pencil! I will see if I can find some auction sale reports .......

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS