Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: compact tractor vs tractor vs quad  (Read 4622 times)

mebnandtrn

• Joined Mar 2014
  • lower whitley
compact tractor vs tractor vs quad
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:50:53 am »
I know this has been asked before, but the threads I can find are for a much more expensive price bracket! We have 3 acres and are hoping to get another 7 acres shortly. That will mainly be grazed, but will need something to work with. We currently have a 4x4 quad, but to be honest I hate riding it, and so plan to sell it. The question is to replace with a compact tractor or a classic tractor. I have limited knowledge of tractor mechanics, but am compatent with a spanner etc. The budget is £2500 max. Thats only for the tractor, but puts us firmly in the old and maybe knackered range!! Any thoughts appreciated.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
Re: compact tractor vs tractor vs quad
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:04:18 am »
It all depends what you are trying to do with the machinery?

Trying to get any safe reliable tractor for the mentioned budget will be a tall challenge.

Unless you are needing a loader tractor - more expensive - for lifting I would stay with an ATV / UTV. they are easier to store, use in small spaces cheaper to maintain lighter on the ground etc.

if you really want to go down the route of a tractor, bearing in mind my first question above, I would suggest looking at compact tractors avoid anything "Classic"
expensive, unreliable and mostly death traps..... leave them to the misty eyed retro 1950's lovers :roflanim:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS