Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Blue spray useage  (Read 8600 times)

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
Blue spray useage
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:08:35 am »
Ordered some blue spray online
Bought it to treat an open wound on sheep it's an infected injection site
But when it come it said for foot rot!!!!
Is there another blue spray or is this one ok to put on
Just wanna keep flys away and also any risk of further infection whilst it heals
Would the purple spray be better?
Cheer
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 07:10:32 am by Tracy mayoh »

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Blue spray useage
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:26:40 am »
Proper blue spray is prescription only as it contains antibiotics (oxytetracycline) so you can only get it from the vet, or with a vets prescription. If you want to keep flies off a wound then Summer Fly Cream is better, it's a very thick yellow cream that you slather on the wound. Probably find it at your local country store normally in the equine section. Purple spray will dry the wound up but not protect from flies or infection (but if there is active infection you probably need injectable antibiotics). I very rarely use purple spray now, only on the odd cut or graze but we always have blue spray to hand for feet/wounds.

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 09:11:50 am »
When we say 'blue spray' we mean oxytetracycline, which is an antibiotic and which you can only get from the vet or the animal health section of your local agri merchant.

Battles Foot Rot spray contains cetrimide, which is an antiseptic detergent.  Great for cleaning a wound but won't do as much to halt an active infection as an antibiotic. 

There are a huge number of purple sprays. Some using essential oils for an antiviral, antifungal antibiotic effect, some are simply antiseptic detergent like the spray you've bought.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 09:37:45 am »
Does anyone still use stockholm tar? We has a ewe with a nick from shearing on it's sternum last year. As she was laying on it, it wouldn't heal and was getting sore and covered in flies. We lathered it with stockholm tar and it healed very quickly.
Used it again for a whether vs fence injury and again it healed very quickly and kept the flies at bay.

'Orrible stuff, but very effective.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:54:37 am »
Does anyone still use stockholm tar? We has a ewe with a nick from shearing on it's sternum last year. As she was laying on it, it wouldn't heal and was getting sore and covered in flies. We lathered it with stockholm tar and it healed very quickly.
Used it again for a whether vs fence injury and again it healed very quickly and kept the flies at bay.

'Orrible stuff, but very effective.

Used to use it on a horse with deep thrush in his heel, it was the only thing that sorted it out,  but looked horrible !

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 12:13:26 pm »
Still use stockholm tar mostly on  ram head wounds , use pine tar on cuts or wounds ,comes in a spray form and has  antiseptic properties

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 01:08:03 pm »
Does anyone still use stockholm tar?
Yes, for all sorts of things.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:14:50 pm »
Tracy, this is the stuff we use. It is very expensive though!

I do have a can of the battles footrot spray, but TBH I never found it did very much besides turning everything purple (me included).
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

hexhammeasure

• Joined Jun 2008
    • golocal food
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 03:13:43 pm »
don't use purple spray on cuts and abrasions or fly strike. the purple stuff drys and then the skin/scab keeps cracking and tearing making the wound deeper and larger. its good for foot rot as it dries out the pussy smelly stuff

Ian

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 04:57:59 pm »
I think the moral of the story here is don't refer to things by their colour alone :)

You should be saying antibiotic spray or antiseptic spray or disinfectant spray etc etc.  Blue and purple really have no meaning.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 10:24:38 pm »
The color is that you know youve done it.

Battles are good, but its not an spray of antibiotics like you get with a 'blue spray; :)

Alamycin sprays are only avail thought the vets and are awesome.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 11:22:22 pm »
The color is that you know youve done it.

As will everybody you shake hands with for the next week  ;D

The funny thing is that I've just started a new job at a place that makes inks and dyes. For once, my colleagues don't wonder what I've been up to when I turn up with blue hands - they just think I've been working extra hard!  :)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS