Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Finishing my first batch of ducks  (Read 2440 times)

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
Finishing my first batch of ducks
« on: August 08, 2017, 02:32:59 pm »
My ducklings are getting older now and I want to get prepared to put them on a finishing diet. I have read that some people put them on a grain diet for their last few weeks. I have also seen this thread from 2015 http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php?topic=69300.msg553195#msg553195

would putting them on a more corn based diet in the last few weeks give me good results when their on the table

:&>

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
Re: Finishing my first batch of ducks
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:16:40 pm »
Cut maize will give a good colour to the skin but wheat will add protein. Finished mine on a 50:50 mix of wheat and maize and they turned out fine.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:18:00 pm »
Thanks Twizzel.  :thumbsup:

They have been mostly on growers pellets so I think I will add some mixed grain for their last few weeks

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 03:01:00 pm »
I had best results when (through no choice of my own) I had to restrict my ducks to a small area last winter to finish them. It was during the bird flu problems so they were really restricted to a small netted pen, which meant they couldn't forage for anything and had to eat the food on offer. I never had much luck finishing ducks that free ranged properly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS