Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: foot problem diagnosis help  (Read 1908 times)

angusrr

• Joined Jun 2017
foot problem diagnosis help
« on: August 07, 2017, 04:15:02 pm »
Hi,
I have a Suffolk x ewe which has been limping, I  got her in a week ago and purple sprayed the wound on her foot before going on holiday. came back yesterday and there has been no improvement so have soaked in hibiscrub for 15 mins then purple sprayed so will see if that helps.the wound is a fairly deep hole and is soft inside and it does not smell. after soaking it is much deeper than I first thought as the muck came out the wound. can anyone help me diagnose the problem by the picture? burst abscess?
thanks for the help.
Angus

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
Re: foot problem diagnosis help
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:26:35 pm »
VET  may need AB looks like CODD

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:20:16 pm »
Help me out here, [member=9755]shep53[/member] - why do you say CODD, rather than plain old footrot?

To my untrained eye, this looks very similar to the footrot one of ours had a couple of years ago:

Angus - does the hoof smell?  Also, photos of the front and sides of the hoof would be helpful here, particularly when trying to diagnose or rule out CODD  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 09:40:36 pm »
As I understand it codd starts at the coronet band and works down the foot. Could be footrot or even a toe granuloma?

angusrr

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 10:14:48 pm »
your right it does look similar to the picture. I didn't notice any damage on the top of the hoof or a smell when I was looking at it today but was outdoors and it was windy so I could have missed it. I will get her penned up again tomorrow and have another look and smell. I was thinking of getting some zinc sulphate for a footbath as this should help if it is foot rot, however I can only find it in large quantities which I do not need. how did you cure the sheep pictured?
thanks for your help.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 10:46:28 pm »
how did you cure the sheep pictured?

With Alamycin LA antibiotic injections from the vet, plus zinc sulphate (goldenhoof plus) footbaths.

Once the infection had cleared, I packed the holes with hoof paste and bandaged them with vetrap for a couple of weeks to aid healing (be very careful not to go too tight). This was probably overkill, but she's a ridiculously tame sheep, so it wasn't difficult to do. It took a long time to get her right though, so you'll have to be patient.

I'll cheerfully send you a kilo or two of goldenhoof at cost, if that's what you need. Just PM me.  Depending on how jumpy she is, you may be able to use the method pictured below, to reduce the amount of solution required  ;D .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 12:31:47 pm »
The differences are small visually but angusrr said no smell , footrot tend to smell  ,only 1 clee affected on the out side , footrot  can be more inside and often both clee . While codd starts at the coronary band ( which we cant see in the picture ) it often goes down the inside of the horn with little to see on the band .  While ab will work with both footrot and codd the footbathing would be a waste of time and money with codd .    Toe granuloma tends to be on the clee tip and tends to deform the horn eg  Aladdin slippers .      It could be either BUT angusrr really needs to know as the treatment is different ? . IF he has bought  the sheep or any sheep recently it could be either  if a closed flock then would probably be footrot

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS