Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Unduline  (Read 2188 times)

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
Unduline
« on: August 04, 2017, 07:03:46 pm »
Hi we are building a new goat shed in the next few weeks. We were thinking of using unduline (might have spelled it wrong lol) for the roof and wondered if any one on the forum has used/has an opinion on its use. Anyone had condensation in the winter using it?

Any comments and advice welcomed

Angie

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
Re: Unduline
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 07:56:44 pm »
If you use it
you need to put a layer of plywood under it to prolong its life as it suffers from sag in heat if not properly supported.
Friend builds stables for a living and will not fit it without plywood under it due to numerous issues
Think manufactures even advised him similar

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 09:47:21 pm »
Yes deffo needs support ,a couple of good hot days and it sags and lets in the weather, my workshop suffered this fate , so off it came and replaced

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:36:57 pm »
its only other issue as its light, is that if not fixed down well it will come off easily with high winds

PK

• Joined Mar 2015
  • West Suffolk
    • Notes from a Suffolk Smallholding
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 04:20:36 pm »
Onduline's website has useful and detailed guidance about how best to use it. They do recommend laying on plywood for shallow sloping roofs but not necessarily for steeper gradients. I've used it for three projects in the last four years and fixed the sheets to purloins spaced 40cm apart and had no problems with sagging. They have remained water tight and coped well with a full frontal attack from Storm Doris and one rather more severe wind a couple of years ago. Don't stint on the fixings though.

Jukes Mum

• Joined Apr 2014
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 04:25:19 pm »
We used it to roof our sheep shelter. Its nice to work with, easy to cut, easy to fit, light to lift and 3 years on it looks as good as new. I think we used supports at 1 foot spacings.
Don’t Monkey With Another Monkey’s Monkey

angie

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 07:55:00 pm »
Thank you all for your comments very helpful

Angie

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 04:05:01 pm »
For a gently sloping roof I have found Onduline on top of ply board very effective. Much better than ply with roofing felt. Did the goat house about 15 years ago now and still no issues.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS