Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: egg testing  (Read 3124 times)

WOODY 88

• Joined Jun 2017
egg testing
« on: August 04, 2017, 04:42:20 pm »
hi WOODY 88 back again does any one know where i can have a couple of my girls eggs tested .Will be in water glass for 1 month and 2 months respective.Dont want them for retail only for own use ie cooking in winter when girls go on a go slow LOL :thumbsup:thanks in advance WOODY88

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
Re: egg testing
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 06:52:55 pm »
What kind of testing?

WOODY 88

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 07:48:59 pm »
hi may i say thanks for a prompt reply . Just like to confirm no bacterial growth has taken place within 2/3months of my test period .The method i am useing has been used by me and my family for 3 generations but the water glass i am useing is not the stuff  that was avaiable sum 15years ago so thought best to have test done thanks for your interest WOODY88 :thumbsup:   

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 11:33:54 pm »
Well if the eggs look and smell ok and you are going to cook them properly and thoroughly, I wouldn't worry too much.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 12:06:16 pm »
Well if the eggs look and smell ok and you are going to cook them properly and thoroughly, I wouldn't worry too much.
Exactly what I thought,if you use your nose you shouldnt go far wrong. If you are really insistant to spend your hard earned money on tests then I can send you a phone number of a company that can maybe test them for you.???
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 03:46:03 pm »
That's interesting. How do you do it then? You put the eggs in water....? I'd love to be able to preserve some eggs for winter but the only ways I know is either pickling them (doesnt' appeal!) or making cakes, quiches etc to freeze.

WOODY 88

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 08:24:01 pm »
 :o wow that would make 4 interesting tastes from cakes .no the water is mixed with sodium metasilicate penthydrate food grade it thickens the water to a consistance of wall paper paste .This system dates back to victorian times . And my grandparents  an i both have used this method for many years .Now i am kepping hens again after a work pressure break of 10 years or more .The eggs should be useable for as long as 6 moths or more .The orinial water glass is no longer avaiable but food grade chemicals of the product is avaiable hence the tests .Hope this helps and keep watching this space .LOL

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 08:57:13 pm »
You can freeze eggs (not in shell!) then use for cakes etc when defrosted.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

DippyEgg

• Joined May 2017
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 06:11:23 pm »
Thanks  :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS