Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New goats  (Read 3810 times)

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
New goats
« on: August 02, 2017, 10:38:40 am »
Hello. I am new to keeping goats. In fact i don't have them yet!

But I wanted to ask those with experience some question to prepare myself for goat keeping. I am looking at GGs as good first time goats who can eventually be milked and are friendly.

But what are some good items to have to hand for goat keeping? I know I need fencing, housing, feed, water - I've read about charcoal to have on hand for any grazing issues that may come up? Are there supplements - I'd prefer natural things - to keep them in good health? Or help at times with their immunity to give it a boost or keep it up?

I've read about salt licks, vitamins, calf pellets, copper - it all seems a lot. Not that I am saying it is too much - but want to separate the wheat from the chaff and understand what is actually needed and how often, so I am well prepared but not going nutty buying everything in a livestock store.

Often experienced farmers have tricks they have had passed down through the generations to keep their flock in tip top. I want to have some good information and advice so that our small group stay well and healthy.

Also, what would be a good calendar of things to take care of? Worming, fleas, coccidiosis?

I am not without any knowledge but best if you assume I am, and that way I get the best advice and preparation.

Also when could I reasonably milk them? If looking at GG or crosses of them, I want to find a good age that we may be able to milk. Doesn't have to be tomorrow, and probably won't be, but if there was a breeding season next year - what age would I want this year?

I'd be grateful for any advice and useful information to get me on the right foot (or hoof).
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 11:16:56 am by New Riverside Farm »

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
Re: New goats
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 06:42:37 pm »
Hi there  :wave:

I became a goat keeper 2 years ago, after wanting them desperately for 10 years.... probably always actually if i'm honest! I think I must have read every book i could get my hands on!

I just went for it, found a really lovely, helpful and  knowledgeable local keeper and asked questions on here.

I made a few newbie errors, was rescued by my local expert with a lovely milker and am now considering expanding my goat shed to accomodate some more!

Goats are addictive and provide endless fun and drama, but they are worth every penny and all the hours that you spend on them.

I have a very simple set up and I know there are all different types of keepers on here. Most with much more experience than me!

But for what its worth, this is my ten penneth worth. Just go for it. And learn as you go.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 10:36:31 pm »
Wow - thank you so much! It is very late right now so I will look at it some more in the morning but a lot of great information. And like you, I've probably wanted goats for a long time. I've got fencing, and just want to do it right with whichever girls I go with and know I'll also have to learn along the way, as one has to with all things. But best if you learn from the best too.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 10:50:31 pm »
Hi

I've been keeping goats for around 15 years, usually only a couple due to lack of space, but with growing kids at intervals. I knew how to milk a goat but very little else and made mistakes. I started by sharing two goats with a neighbour who kept them in her garden but the one who was in milk developed mastitis (I later found out it was because her other owner stopped milking her if she started to dance around and you do need to milk them out. The other owner decided she didn't like the one in milk so I was to have her and she'd have the decent one. Frantic shed building in my garden began (thank goodness for my grown up son who was living with us) and Flo moved in a couple of weeks later. I contacted the local goat keepers association and was given the name of an experience former goat keeper, who lived nearby and who invited me to go and see her. She told me so much during that visit and I came home with some sheep hurdles she sold me, books and a hoof knife and just got on with it.

It helped knowing someone on the end of the phone to answer questions so I would recommend getting to know a local goatkeeper. Whereabouts are you? There's probably a TASer nearby. I am in Shropshire if that's any use and always glad to talk about goats/show mine off. I would suggest you have a milking lesson or two in advance of starting to milk your own although lots of people do just get on with it. If you've already tried it, you'll have more confidence, especially if your goats are first time milkers. Goats come into season every three weeks from September/October time until around February. Most people have them mated in the autumn for kidding the next year, as has been said, from the age of 2. It's usual to alternate matings so one kids one year and one the next. This gives a constant supply of milk as most of the dairy breeds will milk through the first winter after kidding and until the are close to giving birth again. You also have to decide what you will do with any  kids. I keep mine on their mothers until they are weaned then send the males to slaughter for the freezer. Others prefer to separate them and bottle rear the kids.

Incidentally, for ex goatkeeping partner decided she didn't like keeping goats after another week and sold 'her' one. I kept going, as I said, for the last 15 years. I hope you have as much joy as I have had from my girls.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 08:21:02 am »

and your fencing is high enough to hold a giraffe, low enough to hold a worm and tight enough to hold water you're ready...

:roflanim: :roflanim: :roflanim:

Got our kids last Oct ... fences are still growing both up and down !!!    :roflanim: :roflanim:

Oh and got a video of one of ours undoing a bolt on a gate too!!
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2017, 09:42:04 am »
So with the mating, it is best to have them 2 years? can you go any younger? So am looking at some 4 month olds - and if we waited till next year when they'd be in season, to take advantage of their season, we could go till Jan/feb which would mean they'd be slightly under 2 years, otherwise we'd be over 2 years and I think I read you want to get them in kid not too late, and if I alternate, then if I could reasonably do on in Feb, then the other the following autumn, I'd not have too many on the go, and they'd be mated their first time while I'd guess they'd be strong and adaptable enough to do it?

anyway, this is a long way off before I'd worry about mating or breeding those ones if I got them. But just wondering if I did, what I'd be looking at in terms of timing.

I also read a posting about mucking out and many just do deep bedding and clear out only 3 months or so? Apart from some occasional pickings. Is this really so? It seems so counter to anything I would normally do but then I'm not much of a farmer and am used to cats, rodents, etc - where there is fairly regular cleanings otherwise it becomes unsanitary. I'd like to hear the logic on this if I could. I'd also like to get chickens or maybe ducks (not sure yet) and I saw someone mention they do this with their poultry as well.

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2017, 10:08:26 am »
So - I'll have many, many questions yet! But at least a couple here:

1. What are concentrates - scarlet you mention being careful but I am not sure what they are.

2. Copper - I looked at a feedstore and looked at a lick for horses and there was one with copper - it was called something local but he said, it was by Frank Right. Would that be ok or do I need to be careful about using horselicks?

3. What is sudocrem for? Pen & Strep? Calciject?

Apologies for being stupid!

But thank you so much for all the information - I am writing it all down.

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2017, 11:22:57 am »
Yes the answers were phrased quite badly - you mate you goatlings at around 18 months old to kid around 2years old - as in mating in their 2nd autumn and kidding the next spring.

You just need a "Red Rockie", not boluses or anything else.

Concentrates are "grain" type feeds - you can get goat mix, but it is usually cheaper to buy a calf mix or diary nuts (18% protein)

I would recommend you get yourself the "goat bible" - MacKenzie's "Goat Husbandry", make sure you get the 5th edition the one updated by Ruth Goodwin. You should be able to buy a copy cheaply on www.abebooks.co.uk - all you need is in there! Honest! Happy reading!

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2017, 11:39:23 am »
We have a lot of butterbur which i think is a no no for goats, right? Also pines....good or bad? I know yew is absolutely no and we have none anyway...but other pines?

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2017, 12:03:54 pm »
 and bindweed too...

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2017, 02:36:08 pm »
With regard to poultry feed. Is that immediate or over time? Juust want to understand the risk if they get access. Animals tend to not listen to feed rules so if an error happens is it an er emergency or are we talking its not good if too much/too often?

mart6

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Notts / Yorkshire border
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 02:53:23 pm »
Yes the answers were phrased quite badly - you mate you goatlings at around 18 months old to kid around 2years old - as in mating in their 2nd autumn and kidding the next spring.

You just need a "Red Rockie", not boluses or anything else.

Concentrates are "grain" type feeds - you can get goat mix, but it is usually cheaper to buy a calf mix or diary nuts (18% protein)

I would recommend you get yourself the "goat bible" - MacKenzie's "Goat Husbandry", make sure you get the 5th edition the one updated by Ruth Goodwin. You should be able to buy a copy cheaply on www.abebooks.co.uk - all you need is in there! Honest! Happy reading!
Be careful just relying on red rockies  , you need more than just licks to supply a adequate supply of copper.
If feed does not contain enough
You can not be sure all goats use them anyway.
I also use Caprivite and have still seen copper deficiency  on some breeds its easier to spot than others, imo most people think its sun bleach.

About 5 months ago i started using Copper boluses and the difference after 4 months was very noticeable.
The last thing you want is copper deficiency during pregnancy , and has added bonus helps control bargepole worm

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 08:57:58 am »
Thank you all so much! There is a lot here. I will be reviewing it, preparing, and probably coming back and asking more...but wanted to say thanks for it all so far!

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 09:19:32 am »
Whereabouts in the country are you Riverside?

It may be that you are near to someone on here? It can be good to feel that there is a real live personto talk to sometimes!

New Riverside Farm

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 11:14:29 am »
Skipton (yorkshire) area...anyone nearby?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS