Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Meat/table birds  (Read 1124 times)

PaulJill

• Joined Jul 2017
Meat/table birds
« on: August 01, 2017, 06:40:12 pm »
Hi, back again. We want to bring on birds for meat/ table. Which variety will give us a good amount of meat but also taste wonderful. Looking forward to hearing from you, happy hens Paul & Jill.

macgro7

• Joined Feb 2016
  • Leicester
Re: Meat/table birds
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 07:37:04 pm »
I got my ones from here:
http://www.piggottspoultry.co.uk/meat.html
Depends how you want to manage your birds really.
The white ross/Cobb are the most popular boilers. They grow super fast. Not very good for free ranging (although will manage).
The other "breeds" of boilers grow slower bit have no problems with too fast growth (heart attacks, joint and bone problems).

I've had Ross Cobb and red boilers together last year. When they were in the brooder, I.e. not exercising too much, the white ones were growing faster but when they were outside free ranging, the red ones were doing better!

Unless you prefer some pure breed chickens?
Ross will take 6/7 weeks. Red boilers up to 12. Most pure breeds will take several months longer and probably never grow to the same size though.

I have Poule de Barbezieux, poule de Bresse and am ordering more red boilers (very pleased with them last year) and some naked neck boilers to try.

As for flavour, Ross will have the least although if they are on grass they will still be MUCH better than shop bought chicken.
Hope this helps
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 07:40:59 pm by macgro7 »
Growing loads of fruits and vegetables! Raising dairy goats, chickens, ducks, rabbits on 1/2 acre in the middle of the city of Leicester, using permaculture methods.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS