Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pigs at slaughter - detained  (Read 2663 times)

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
Pigs at slaughter - detained
« on: August 01, 2017, 03:10:03 pm »
Hi everyone

First time pig owner here.

So my pigs went to slaughter today and I have just had a call to say they have been detained as they are outdoor pigs and have a rash under their hair.  I was told on the phone that it happens with outdoor reared pigs more often.  Our pigs were large white x landrace pigs which we bought from a neighbour who has a pig farm (intensive) so they are not a breed that is used to being outside maybe?

The said they have something that sounded like "pigonella" which I was so upset about that I didn't get the spelling of it.  They did say it was common in outdoor bred and the meat inspector will decide on Thursday if they're ok on not.  If they aren't ok, then will have to be all skinned off (worst case) and if the redness has died down then they will be fine to come back skin on.

Has anyone ever experienced this and what could we do in the future to prevent it?

Thanks so much.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Pigs at slaughter - detained
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 04:00:59 pm »
Tricinella? I didn't think we had it in this country but non -controlled pigs are tested for it and sows are always tested. Picked up by eating infected meat and it is a larvae. People can be infected by eating meat that is infected too.

If it is that they would have eaten something at yours.

Keep us in informed.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 04:03:29 pm »
I double checked and in the UK we are tricinella free so I would be really interested if this is what they think it is?

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 04:11:07 pm »
Thanks for the thought but no it isn't that one, they ARE checked for that as standard but this is not what it is.  It's a common outdoor reared issue - I'm waiting for a call back for them to tell me the name.  So frustrating!  :)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2017, 04:50:50 pm »
Well my second thought is Erysipelas but doesn't sound anything like your pigonella.
You have been really unlucky. Hope it is a good outcome!

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2017, 05:06:36 pm »
I know, such a shame when we're trying to do exactly the opposite in terms of outdoor reared, healthy and happy lifestyle with everything in their favour, only to be told this.  Hopefully all will be ok - still waiting for the call feeling slightly sick!

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 07:59:36 am »
I'd ring the abattoir and say that you didn't write the reason for them being detained down and could they spell it for you so you can look online. Thenyou can try and work out what it is and where it could of come from. I'm totally sure they won't mind at all.

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 04:01:07 pm »
Hi both
I spoke to the abbatoir and they were detained due to a rash which turned out to be sunburn which caused quite a commotion as I am told the vet was too quick to dismiss them as no good to which she was told they're outdoor reared pigs and she then ok'd them pending their test for the other thing...can't recall it but it's above in this post. So although I'm not happy that a so called vet was going to bin 2 excellent animals based on a quick check, I am very pleased that she didn't in the end. Awaiting the results of the other test now, which is standard I am told, then they can come home Friday which is when I was expecting them.
It does disgust me at the amount of waste these places must get due to paperwork and red tape. Wasted lives.
Anyway, I shall get down off my soap box and await the results. Here's to a busy Friday evening and weekend of processing the meat!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2017, 04:11:17 pm »
I am absolutely certain that they wont have tricinella so you can look forward to Friday! :hungry:

Sunburn was my immediate thought but as I have never heard it called sunella, pigonella or anything ella I dismissed it on the grounds that no-one would think sunburn was a serious issue in a slaughtered pig but you live and learn. However, if they thought it was tricinella and we don't have it in this country but they said it was a common problem with outdoor pigs I think that is a bit concerning. On a more positive note I think it is used to have vets and inspectors on site and at least they looked into the matter in more detail and didn't skip your pigs first.  :relief:

Glad it has turned out to be nothing serious and that you will get your pigs back.  :pig:

TracyC

• Joined Aug 2016
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 10:19:20 pm »
Thank you, I can't believe the series of events but I guess it shows how things are lost in communication. I'm not going to dig deeper into it as to why I was told what I was, I'm just thankful to get them home tomorrow! Take care ????

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 11:04:07 pm »
I had thought sunburn too, but didn't think a vet would be so daft.  We used to keep Landrace when I was a kid, having previously kept saddlebacks.  Our pigs lived outdoors and the LR got sunburn too, being pink and not very hairy.  I believe you can apply sunblock, to their ears and most exposed bits and of course shelter from the sun and a wallow should help - you probably have those already  :pig: :pig: .
Your pork will be so delicious  :hungry: :yum:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2017, 10:06:29 am »
Ah, yes, incompetent vets - they do happen.  Remember tet pig fattening farm that was the source of the 2001 F & M outbreak was OK'd by one a couple of weeks before it began ....?

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS