Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone bought Turkey Poults from Cyril-Bason?  (Read 3144 times)

thesuffolksmallholding

• Joined Jan 2017
Anyone bought Turkey Poults from Cyril-Bason?
« on: August 01, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »
Hi,
I have really been struggling to find turkey poults to raise for Christmas this year. However I have now found a company called Cyril-Bason which have some off-heat growers available.
Has anyone ever purchased from them before? Are the birds in good condition, well-kept and disease free?
I am a bit wary about buying unseen across the internet, as i don't want to bring infected birds in which may harm my currents flocks (even though they wouldn't been house together).
So any info/reviews on this company?
Thanks in advance for your replies!

adamhfc

• Joined Sep 2010
Re: Anyone bought Turkey Poults from Cyril-Bason?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 01:10:11 pm »
Never bought from  them but there's happy chicks as well maybe worth a look

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 02:08:52 pm »
Well they've been established for over 50 years and sell a vast selection of poultry so they must be doing something right! I would also imagine that a firm of that size cannot afford to sell poor or diseased stock as nothing travels faster than a bad reputation.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:36:40 pm »
I have had poultry from cyril bason and had no problems with them however do not expect to turn up at an industrial estate or farm and be in some massive poultry warehouse/shed.

They get the chicks from the hatcheries as you order them.Cyril Basons shop is an old Ironmongers/diy shop and the chicks are out back..and they fetch them for you.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

simone

• Joined Oct 2012
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 09:56:06 pm »
Gosh Cyril Bason seems like a long way from Suffolk, I'm Essex / Suffolk border and I'm sure you can get them locally in Essex - just can't remember the name I'm thinking of that does them - grrr you could try contacting the East Essex Smallholders association I'm sure the person who runs it has had poults before from the place I'm thinking of.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 11:26:58 pm »
We have bought chickens from them for years.

Never had any problems. All been healthy birds.

I think they will deliver though not certain how far. They've delivered to us here in Wales.

heyhay1984

• Joined Jun 2014
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 11:06:49 pm »
I had half a dozen poults from them this time last year for Christmas...five of them are still alive today  :) which tells you as much about the quality of the birds as my inability to find anyone to help process them (I swapped them for a couple of pigs, in the end!). All six were fighting fit and ready for Christmas even in my inexperienced hands.

They were excellent, dead easy to deal with, delivered them fine as well (though I'm only an hour away) and didn't have any trouble with the poults at all while we were rearing them, about from their general dislike of being made to go to bed!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS