Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hi there, new to posting on forums...ever!  (Read 2109 times)

Vicki

• Joined Jul 2017
Hi there, new to posting on forums...ever!
« on: July 31, 2017, 11:56:46 pm »
Hi there, We have a 1.5 acre grass field with 10 sheep on (4 of which are lambs born April this year), and some of which may have to be moved on shortly. I wonder if someone could advise me on whether a overgrown hoof on one of our ewes should be trimmed or left alone. She limps occasionally and has recently had an injection of a slow activating antibiotic as her hoof is also cracked (to avoid infection). Due to the mixed opinions out there I am unsure what to do for the best. We are quite new to this so any help would be appreciated.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Hi there, new to posting on forums...ever!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 06:44:07 pm »
Welcome and I'm sure you will soon get the hang of everything. Pop anything to do with sheep in the sheep section. More chance the right people will see it.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:59 pm »
Hi Vicki  :wave: ,

Are you able to take some photos of the offending hoof? Folks will be better placed to advise if they can see it, rather than just hear it described.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2017, 10:31:29 pm »
 :wave: from arbroath
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 06:09:59 pm »
Don't worry about never having posted anything before. Nor had I, but everyone is so friendly and understanding here that you soon gain confidence. Have a read of a few posts in each section so that you know what goes on.

Harmony is right about posting you question in the Sheep section. You will get lots of answers, especially if you remind people that you are new to all of this. :)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 07:00:21 pm »
Welcome Vicki, good luck with the sheep, I'm sure people on that section will be happy to help.  :).
I don't think everyone reads the 'Newbie' posts, i know sometimes I have a quick look at unread posts and there are only new ones next time, so easily missed.

Finnsheep

• Joined Aug 2017
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 02:46:23 pm »
Hi there :)
I think keeping hooves trimmed on regular basis is best. I don't know what direction the crack is going in but any build can start pulling the hoove to one side possibly making the crack worse.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS