Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Overdue gilt  (Read 2986 times)

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
Overdue gilt
« on: July 31, 2017, 10:51:36 pm »
We have a gilt due to farrow - or so we thought.  We used AI - our first time but we thought it went ok.  We inseminated her on three successive days (1) not bad (2) seemed good (3) not a success.

Recently we were pretty confident she was in pig.  Her underlined has noticeably dropped although her teats do not seem to have altered.  We thought there was a little white mucus discharge this afternoon.

But - we are now near the end of day 116 follow AI attempt (2).  So, (a) she may yet farrow tonight  (b) she may not be in pig after all? or (c)...?

My questions are:  what is the range of gestation, I thought it was only one day either way?  And, is there a scenario where she might need intervention?

Two years into pig keeping we have had two previous farrowings which went smoothly.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Overdue gilt
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2017, 02:35:13 pm »
I've often had a gilt go 6 to 8 days "over".  Unfortunately gilts can't read calendars!  Have everything ready, give her a good layer of straw bedding and watch for nest-building.  Our last gilt farrowed six days "late" and popped out 12 healthy piglets in less than two hours with no problems whatsoever.

GribinIsaf

• Joined Aug 2015
  • Montgomeryshire
    • Gribin Isaf
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2017, 02:56:39 pm »
I've often had a gilt go 6 to 8 days "over".  Unfortunately gilts can't read calendars!  Have everything ready, give her a good layer of straw bedding and watch for nest-building.  Our last gilt farrowed six days "late" and popped out 12 healthy piglets in less than two hours with no problems whatsoever.

Thanks for that. Will do.

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:53 pm »
My girls rarely go over and if so one or two days maximum. If she has milk she should be in pig.  :fc:

mowhaugh

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Scottish Borders
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 02:25:03 pm »
I had a gilt go 3 weeks over. I've been told a million times I must have made a mistake but I didn't. It was before I had my own boar, and she was with the nearest boar to us (12 ish miles away) for 3 days and that was it. They were fine, I was exhausted with late night checks!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:43:43 pm »
So, she was in with the boar for three of the 20 days she was away?  :thinking:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS