Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Infe red or low wattage brooder plate.  (Read 1876 times)

PaulJill

• Joined Jul 2017
Infe red or low wattage brooder plate.
« on: July 30, 2017, 12:14:31 pm »
 We are going to raise table birds from chicks, every thing is coming together. However we are undecided as to what heat source would be best. There is the traditional infa red lamp or the more modern low wattage height adjustable brooder plate. The brooder plate sounds good by means of being low cost to run and a bit safer to use (fire wise). Can anyone point us in the right direction, has anyone used them both and has a favourite. All advise will be gratefully received. Thank you all for your time, Paul & Jill.   

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Infe red or low wattage brooder plate.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:45:45 pm »
I bought a system with a heatlight on a sensor, but watching them in a darkened room, the light would glow, they would get up and go to the feed, light would go off. That's when I switched to the plate type.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 04:48:18 pm »
used heatlamps for many years with great success,purchased an electric hen heat plate + would not go back now.
So much easier,safer + much much cheaper to run. I have 3 now.. a 15w for upto 20 chicks,25w for upto 30 chicks and a 60w for upto 60 chicks.
Yes you may have to lift the plate to check the chicks from time to time but that is hardly a hardship is it ? They are lightweight. + once the chicks get a bit stronger they can use it as a climbing frame/play thing to keep them occupied.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 06:06:59 pm »
Yes, brooder plate for me every time. It will cost a little bit more initially, but will soon pay for itself out of the electricity savings  :thumbsup: .
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

PaulJill

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2017, 10:09:19 pm »
Thank you all, great advise, leaves me in no doubt what will be best for us and more importantly our chicks. Happy hens Paul & Jill.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:22:27 am »

Yes you may have to lift the plate to check the chicks from time to time but that is hardly a hardship is it ? They are lightweight. + once the chicks get a bit stronger they can use it as a climbing frame/play thing to keep them occupied.
I found a small mirror, angled it so I could look underneath.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 07:34:12 pm »
I hatch 24 to 72 at a time and a large brooder plate is a pain to lift at regular intervals.  It also gets covered in muck as the chicks start exploring

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS