Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Splitting butternut squash  (Read 2816 times)

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
Splitting butternut squash
« on: July 29, 2017, 09:00:09 pm »
Early butternut squash plants  (2 plants) in poly tunnel have produced lots of leaves,  2-3 large squashes and lots of smaller ones. I noticed today that the large squashes have started to split their skins. I am guessing I have over watered them. Is that right? Can I cut and still rippen the split ones? Should I cut them off anyway and change tbe watering system in some way?

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Splitting butternut squash
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 12:38:59 am »
It's more likely to be that they were dry so started to set their skins, then got a thorough watering and tried to grow again, which caused the skins to split.  I don't think they would store - best to cut and eat them now and let the little ones grow on, with regular watering and no droughts.  :squash: :squash: :squash:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

Ghdp

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Conwy
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 10:38:15 am »
Cheers FW. Will pick them now. Squash and coconut chilli this week I think!!

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2017, 11:36:51 pm »
Cook, cool , bag , vaccum pack & freeze  it if you want to store excess usable flesh from split squashes .

We found that BNS is good to add after freezing to fresh home made soups , boil it up in the soup for thickening or mixing with cold mashed potatoes & finsh finges for a fish cake or for frying with cooked potatoes & fried onions like bubble & squeak .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS