Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: HELP!! Green belt and stables  (Read 3351 times)

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
HELP!! Green belt and stables
« on: July 28, 2017, 07:28:06 am »
I have a plot of agricultural green belt land next to my house
We put some sheep on there to keep grass down etc also as pets for kids
We put fence up as we were told by a member of planning department that we could and put planning in for a stable we were initially told it was more of a formality just to let council know it was what we were doing.
Now planning officer grumbling as he says I've done the job in the wrong order I should of done stable first which is going through planning as we speak and then we could of done fence after stable was excepted if excepted and approved  ???
Now I'm being told I am spoiling the openness of the green belt by having animals in there before I have even put a stable shelter up ????
It's under an acre which sits between too houses our house and neighbours at other side of field
It's previous state was a mess as it was used a dumping ground for waste and flytipping etc
We stripped it back filled two skips and looks perfect to us
Help what can I do I don't want to get rid of my sheep

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: HELP!! Green belt and stables
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2017, 09:42:08 am »
If it is agricultural land then why can you not keep sheep on it?

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2017, 09:48:00 am »
There issue is with putting a shelter on and fencing

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2017, 09:22:09 pm »
He is lying Tracy.  If its your land then there is nothing to stop you fencing it, how are the sheep going to stay there otherwise?

Its agricultural green belt, therefore sheep are perfectly legal and there is nothing they can do about it.  Seems to me that someone is making trouble.

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2017, 10:18:11 pm »
There saying we can't have a shelter / stable or any hard standing something to do with the openness of the green belt etc ???

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2017, 02:04:37 pm »
The land next to me was refused planning 3 times. The land was then sold to a local person who kept their horses on it. next thing was stables, now they have a house. if your face fits you can get away with anything !

Herdygirl

• Joined Sep 2011
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 12:05:21 pm »
Seems to me there is an easy solution.

Make a gate in your fence and put up a small shelter in your garden, don't put a solid floor down as then it becomes a 'permanent' building.  Nothing they can do then.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS