Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Foxgloves and Sheep!  (Read 7364 times)

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
Foxgloves and Sheep!
« on: July 03, 2017, 01:27:31 pm »
Hi all!

Yesterday morning we went up the field to find a dead sheep that was bleeding from its mouth and nose that was alive the night before! It had been happy and healthy up until that point so we have been scratching our heads as to what it could be. When we went for a walk around the field we've noticed that some foxgloves have been eaten. Could this be a cause of her death?? How long would it take to kill a sheep after eating foxgloves??

We've had a dig around on the internet but there doesn't seem to be much information anywhere.

Our sheep have never been interested in foxgloves until now!! So time to go pull them up!

Anyone with any info about foxgloves and Sheep would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
Re: Foxgloves and Sheep!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 01:45:52 pm »
I found some links here...
http://www.therural.co.nz/livestock/poisonous-plants-foxglove
http://www.provet.co.uk/lorgue/5a79598.htm

iennial herb with erect stem up to one metre tall or more, with purple or white flowers.  Contains toxic compound digitalis purpurea which has profound effects on the heart.  All parts of the plant are toxic but leaves are the most toxic at start of flowering.  Not commonly eaten by animals unless very hungry in the absence of other feed.  Cattle and horses are most at risk.  Clinical signs include gastrointestinal irritation and diarrhoea, anorexia, nausea, slow but strong pulse, contracted pupils.

Hope this helps :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 02:02:57 pm »
I had some foxgloves in a field, goats never touched them, one day one of goats really off colour, diarrhoea,  thin, when I went round the field I realised how much they'd eaten it down, and some foxgloves eaten. Remaining foxgloves immediately turfed out.
Doesn't explain the bleeding though?

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 02:09:27 pm »
If sheep are in great pain they'd grind their teeth and could bite their tongues ....?  I've known of sheep on poor grazing tackle Deadly Nightshade, Woody Nightshade and Cuckoo Pint .....

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 02:48:45 pm »
Thanks for the replies. They all have loads of grass, they get fed concentrate every week and are in great condition. My sheep, all being very friendly and this one hand reared last year, are very inquisitive. But I'm still unsure why it ate it to start with!

The bleeding from the mouth and nose, we read somewhere about something (cant remember what) causing a cancer of the lungs and this possibly being the cause of death, but again there was no symptoms before I left the field of any problem.

With it all happening within 14 hours or so, I'm a little concerned about what has happened and whether any other plant could have done it? This ewe in particular was an escape artist! No matter how high my fences she still found a way out and the owners of the land had said she kept escaping into their garden all the day before! Is there any other plants that may cause death if ingested?

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 03:03:13 pm »
Unfortunately quite a few garden plants are poisonous,  esp. Rhododendron and laurel families,  but never heard of them causing bleeding from nose/mouth.
Searching keywords -  sheep dead nose blood I found mentions of lung problems and aneurysm, 
Holly is sited as a problem due to trauma, ie sharp leaves, enough to cut her inside?
Could she have got to any rat poison, that too was mentioned somewhere.

BTW, my sheep have lots of grass, but recently keep getting out, luckily not completely off my land.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017, 04:29:57 pm »
The bleeding from the mouth and nose, we read somewhere about something (cant remember what) causing a cancer of the lungs and this possibly being the cause of death, but again there was no symptoms before I left the field of any problem.
You may be thinking of Ovine Pulmonary Adenocarcinoma (OPA) also known as Jaagsiekte, which is a contagious lung cancer.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2017, 06:19:58 pm »
Describe the symptoms/circumstance to your vet.  Out of interest let us know what they think.

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2017, 06:50:22 pm »
Describe the symptoms/circumstance to your vet.  Out of interest let us know what they think.
[/quote

Yes I shall do that, Next time I'm there and then let you know

mojocafa

• Joined Sep 2012
  • Angus
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 09:00:30 pm »
 :hug:
pygmy goats, gsd, border collie, scots dumpys, cochins, araucanas, shetland ducks and geese,  marrans, and pea fowl in a pear tree.

EP90

• Joined Jan 2013
  • Ireland
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2017, 01:54:01 pm »
[/quote

Yes I shall do that, Next time I'm there and then let you know

For peace of mind and protection of the remaining sheep it might be worth a phone call rather than waiting.

Lorenza

• Joined Feb 2016
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 08:40:11 am »
Completely forgot to write on here the outcome of discussion with vets.
They said without an autopsy, it would be hard to say exactly what killed her. Doubtful of fox gloves being associated with the blood. Unfortunately I had the dead ewe collected the day after it died so not possible for an autopsy. The vet said that like humans, all animals can develop various illnesses and tumours etc at any age and it is likely that the ewe had something wrong, possibly a tumour or another growth in the lungs / throat. All my sheep are always up to date with heptivaced, wormer etc.
Either way, all th foxgloves have now been removed from the field and all my other sheep look happy and healthy.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 11:15:25 am »
Look out for St John's Wort, too.  It causes photosensitisation if eaten.  There are lots of poisonous garden plants an escape artist might encounter - monkshood (aconitum), rhododendron and Portugese laurel spring to mind.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS