Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Working goats?  (Read 1895 times)

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
Working goats?
« on: July 26, 2017, 09:49:59 am »
Does anyone have any experience with training a goat to pull a wagon/cart/trap?

I have a wonderful natured wether who is very willing to please, and I am considering trying to train him to pull a little wagon aroud the smallholding. Mainly just for fun but my veg patch is up a big slope and the muck heap is down the bottom so thinking he can earn his keep by moving all their poo for me, thereby justifying his existance  ;)

He already walks well on a collar and lead and have just bought a rope halter to try out. Typically pouring with rain today!

I have found a place locally that will be able to make him a well fitting harness.....i'll just need to work out the wagon bit.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Working goats?
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 10:35:27 am »
Some years ago I knew someone that had a large Anglo Nubian wether. She managed to find an old Victorian dog cart which he pulled around quite happily, and as far as I know, without any problems.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 07:00:59 pm »
This was one of my reasons for getting mine. Unfortunately I've not had much time to get them training.
I made two harnesses pieced together from bits of horse bridles and martingales that were lying about. Started off just harness on and going for a walk, then taking turns long reining them, then harnessing them together and long reining as a pair, then putting a weight on the traces and long reining them.
Theres tonnes of photos online of goats pulling various wagons and carts and even ploughing. And there's the harness goat society too. Good luck!

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2017, 10:29:45 am »
Thanks Steph Hen.

Nice to know that I'm not the only nutter on here!

What breed are yours?

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2017, 08:21:27 am »
Was two Anglo nubian, but one died and replaced with Swiss Togg as well.
They are much more accepting than horses. They are less less bothered by tack, more like dogs to work with.
 But harder to get to really listen than horses or dogs. Mine took a lot of time to learn to voice commands and I'm sure that's all forgotten now!

Flump74

• Joined Nov 2015
  • Ceredigion
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2017, 12:51:32 pm »
I love Nubies. They are my absolute favourites!

I have a little old lady GG milker and two GG cross Toggenburg/Boer teenagers!

Charlie took really well to the rope halter. ...he loves any attention. His sister was dead jealous!

He certainly responds to his name and being told to walk on. So hoping that he is eager enough to please to make this work. They do remind me of dogs in their behaviour but it feels more like leading a horse as I'm only a little person!

Melmarsh

• Joined May 2014
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2017, 05:21:11 pm »
Hi ! There was and probably still is a harness goat club or association, may be worth a Google to get more information. Good Luck

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS