Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New location for bees  (Read 2482 times)

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
New location for bees
« on: July 25, 2017, 04:47:43 pm »
Hi, I offered our location to the Scottish bee keepers association for a possible hive site,  but had no interest we are just south of Cumbernauld if anyone is interested?  :fc:

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Re: New location for bees
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2017, 12:45:23 pm »
I did the same in Cornwall and now have a bee man who has put two hives on my land. My fellow was new to bee keeping and had done the course but had no where to put the hives.

Talk to members of your local association and ask them to mention it to new members.
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 05:13:30 pm »
Hi thanks for your reply, I tried that through the SBKA, they contacted all the local groups but to no avail.

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:16:01 am »
Well folks it's decision time for you .
 If you've read several good books & have a decent pair if hives  & protection give it a go next spring . Feed the bees in early spring & by the end of August .
 If it is screamingly hot in June / July ( Often called the June gap ) there will have not been much pollen & nectar avaialble .  So you'll need to check stores &  if they are lacking in sealed honey & bee bread they will need additional feeding so they can build big for over wintering well ask questions on the forum.  The end of August feed up still applies .

Don't bother looking for the queen too much learn instead what the well working hive holds & how it appears on the frames .
 Queen & disease problems will show up if you look at the hives once every 6 to  8 days & you notice something is different to the normal look of the hive  .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS