Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Sheep treats and snacks ???  (Read 26050 times)

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
Sheep treats and snacks ???
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:55:24 am »
Who can help with my list of what sheep can snack on
For example can they eat bread crumbs mixed in with there grain
Can they eat carrots ??
What else is safe for them
Neighbours chikdrenkeep wanting to bring the kitchen scraps such as cabbage etc

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Sheep treats and snacks ???
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:09:11 pm »
Feeding kitchen scraps to animals isn't recommended and for some animals, pigs and chickens, it is illegal. It is around disease control. I'm afraid I'm not a believer in treats and snacks for any animal unless it serves a purpose and then it should be in moderation. They can snack all day on grass in the field.

Training sheep to come to a bucket is however a very useful thing when you need to catch them. Having them thinking every time they see you they may get something to eat is not especially as they get bigger.

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:09:45 pm »
Ours have a 'treat' of a tiny amount of sheep coarse mix.

It keeps them 'tame' and bucket trained.

I call them and pour it into the feed trough. Good to get them up close and check their health, for fly strike, etc

It's a tiny amount, third of a handful each maybe!

Not sure what else would be healthy or beneficial to give a sheep.

Tracy mayoh

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 01:35:50 pm »
So the rest of time are yours just on grass

in the hills

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 02:22:32 pm »
We only have 7 Soay sheep (small primitives) and haven't bred from them for the last 3 years. I use their fleece in craft work.

They are on a couple of acres of hilly Welsh land at about 800 ft.

They have plenty of grass during the Summer months. We start feeding ad lib hay around the end of October. We stop feeding hay once the grass starts growing in the Spring.

The coarse mix is a treat though we give a bit extra if the weather is hard in the Winter.

If you're not breeding from your sheep, you'll probably follow a similar pattern, depending on your land and location.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:45:33 pm »
My sheep get a few nuts every now and then to keep them bucket tame but apart from that don't get treats... they have no need for treats and the last thing you want is fat sheep mobbing you every time you go in the field  ::)

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 03:03:11 pm »
When I first got sheep I also got given a couple of oldies (11 and 12 yo Shetland ewes). They both came to the "rustle of a plastic bag with toast in it" and then you would feed the toast by hand to them... very useful if you want to check on oldies in particular and there is no need to get the whole flock coming to you... the rest (and also these two girls) also came to the bucket, so they would come in easily.

My goats go crazy (and come galloping to you) for the rustle of the plastic wrapper of oat cakes... another useful treat option. But you have to rustle it!

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 03:33:40 pm »
So the rest of time are yours just on grass

Yes. They are only fed anything else in winter when there is no grass or little in it. Then they would get hay. They only get hard food if they are breeding sheep and need extra or a bit thin or been finished for the sale ring for example. There are bucket licks out there to make sure they are getting enough minerals and vitamins and you can give them a mineral drench.

Did I read somewhere they are Rylands in which case I believe they get fat on fresh air?

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 05:02:45 pm »
windfall apples in quantity .... they would rot on the ground otherwise. same for cherries plums and pears. I will feed dried apricots by hand to individual sheep keeps them tame. I have found feeding wholemeal bread useful as a top up to individual sheep as said it helps to be able to supplement individually and this works well in a group of sheep where those who are already low aren't able to fight their corner for extra rations.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 08:39:31 pm »
On occasion I have been know to give our hebrideans a digestive biscuit.  :innocent: Not very healthy but oh do they love them!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 10:16:53 pm »
Ryeland's get fat just looking at food (hmm must be related to me  :innocent: ).  ....   Grass is more than enough.  To keep tame a very few lamb nuts occasionally.
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2017, 01:27:38 am »
My Ryelands get the occasional horse treat if they are obliging enough to get on the trimming stand. They love them.

CarolineJ

• Joined Dec 2015
  • North coast of Scotland
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 07:27:13 am »
On occasion I have been know to give our hebrideans a digestive biscuit.  :innocent: Not very healthy but oh do they love them!

One of my neighbours still reminisces about the time he took his lambs in to sell at Thurso mart and the auctioneer bent down to say, 'Good-looking lambs, John.  What have you been feeding them on?'  John didn't realise that the auctioneer's microphone would pick up his reply, and 'Digestive biscuits and cheese,' boomed round the ring, causing general hysteria.  He got the last laugh, his lambs topped the sale!

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2017, 09:52:23 am »
Ryeland's get fat just looking at food.   Grass is more than enough.  To keep tame a very few lamb nuts occasionally.
I agree.  Maybe the neighbour's children could start a compost heap? 

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2017, 12:02:55 pm »
We do give our Ouessant sheep treats occasionally, they come running when they see the goats getting a treat - carrots, apple, cabbage, chard....
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS