Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Old goat - need opinions please  (Read 1575 times)

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
  • Shropshire / N Wales Border
Old goat - need opinions please
« on: July 25, 2017, 11:35:39 am »
Hi
one of our goats (Red)  is about 12 and we got her from a commercial goat herd about 3 years ago so she has been worked quite hard.
She kidded this year - one v strong doeling - to be honest was a bit of a surprise - we are not quite sure when she was tupped but obviously she was! It was our plan not to put her to the buck last year and for sure she will not go anywhere near him this year.
However she has slowed down a lot since we weaned her kid off her. She hides at feeding time to avoid the push and shove of the bully that is our herd leader, so we feed her separately.
She is very thin - we have wormed her this week and make sure she has everything she needs - a separate bed, pellets, hay etc etc.
She has a lump on the side of her face that used to go up and down and now is permanently in place. Vet had a look but couldn't see any particular reason for it so we think it is in her cheek rather than tooth related.
WE have only ever had one goat die on us and that was Red's mum (Bluff!!)) and that was through old age. We had one kid PTS due to cocci in the early days of goat keeping so our experience of when to make the difficult decisions is very limited.
What factors influence your decisions to have goats PTS?
We only have a few so all of them are pets as well as breeding does so it is a heart decision as well as a head one.
Should we just wait and let nature take its course  - she looks depressed but doesn't seem to be in pain
She has had plenty of copper lately so I am not worried about that side of things

Any thoughts will be gratefully received

Thank you for reading this
Donna

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Old goat - need opinions please
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 12:56:15 pm »
I think physically it sounds like you know what you're dealing with.

Otherwise, I think you have to ask how the good times weigh up with the bad times. Remember they are herd animals, so keeping themselves away from the herd is a form of stress for them. So is she social at less pressured times? Does she exhibit "happy" behaviour (I don't know what this is in goats, but in cattle you look for grooming etc)?

If unsure, I would give her a beautiful summer but not put her through another winter.  :bouquet:

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 01:03:07 pm »
If her face is swollen I would think that would be making her uncomfortable/ bit miserable.
Did you wean kid because she was thin?  Or has she gone thin since? Could she be pining for her baby? Is she milking? If not, how long since weaning? Could she have an udder problem.
Just thoughts.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2017, 01:04:28 pm »
 :dog:Thank you - unfortunately you have confirmed what we thought.
I am not sure she would cope with another winter so looks like the tough decisions are needed.

I read somewhere that one should ask vets to use whatever they use to put horses to sleep as its quicker and generally kinder (??!!)  - any views on that
The kid we had put down was comatose and tiny but Red is a different proposition altogether

thanks

Donna

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 01:07:45 pm »
[member=22672]penninehillbilly[/member]
We weaned the kid because we thought she and some of the other does needed a rest.
They are boer X so we do not milk.
Unfortunately we have sold her kid now as we have too many goats so cannot put her back in anyway.

I just want to do the right thing for her - she might be missing Little Red as she is a very devoted mum tbh.

sometimes this farming thing is very difficult ......

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2017, 02:12:29 pm »
I think 12 is a very good innings for a goat that spend most of her life in a commercial setting...., and you have probably made up your mind anyway. I will have any goat that is past breeding pts before the next breeding season, just to be on the safe side. Normally my old girls would have a retirement summer, I often graze an oldie with the youngstock, who will accept her as their leader and she won't have to fight with the fitter younger females.

My vet indeed puts my goats to sleep, I normally take them down to them in the van and it is done very quickly and painless in the van. Yes the same stuff as for horses, and I bring my girls myself to the knacker yard (not necessarily for the faint hearted but an important part of keeping livestock) on the way home from the vet. Very lucky as it's all within 5miles radius from the holding.

The knackerman (I have yet to meet a woman doing this job...) will also come to your farm and shoot the animal, I have found them quick, efficient and business-like if needed with my sheep.

I personally will not send any deadstock to the local hunt's kennels, but that is another option.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2017, 02:19:12 pm »
Thanks [member=3211]Anke[/member]

Will speak to the vet - its a bit farther for us then for you but sounds like the best way - she is easy to lead these days.

But on the upside, its lovely and warm so she can spend the rest of her days with us getting plenty of love and attention
I like the idea of moving her in with the kids - that is a really good idea - will do that this weekend - think she will be pleased.

hunt sounds terrible - but then I am soft  - that will def not be happening to her that is for sure.

Donna

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2017, 02:47:04 pm »
I have a 14yr old goat that is looking quite poor at the moment. She hasn't kidded for years and has a healthy appitite. She was the herd bully but now hangs back from the others when their rushing for food and you have to shut them in their comunal pen and call her in separately to her private pen. She still plays 'head butt' out in the field but usually stays separate from the rest of the goats most of the time. 

I've sort of decided that unless she picks up dramatically I won't take her through the winter when their yarded most of the time. For me, money is a factor and rather than get a vet to PTS and then fallen stock to collect, I'd rather call fallen stock and let them PTS. I don't want to witness it so I pen the animal up, show them the animal and say do they mind if I disappear for a min. They climb in the pen and thats that.. I pay around £20 for that service.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2017, 02:51:26 pm »
Thanks for that.

I assume our guys offer the same service but would need to ask. Don't think I could stick around either tbh.

Thank you everyone for your help - we will make sure she has a lovely summer  ;)

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2017, 03:43:19 pm »
I have an old girl and for me the decider is whether she can get up and down, browse and move OK. She doesn't owe me anything or taking up space so she is fine for now.

I used the local hunt for many years to dispatch old horses. Burying wasn't an option. They came with a clean, empty trailer. They were dignified and kind. The knacker man's truck is full of dead bodies and although I have never used them to dispatch one of my animals I have seen them do it and I would say give me the huntsman anytime.

I feel you should respect the man doing the job and if he prefers you not to be there then that is fine by me.

We attach all sorts of human emotions to these things and actually I think most animals, if they could tell you, would say thank you for ending their days swiftly and with compassion not "you cruel thing you are going to leave me with someone and have me killed".

Never an easy decision but one that goes with the territory.

Bluff

• Joined Apr 2016
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 03:47:25 pm »
Thanks [member=24672]harmony[/member]  - it is a tough one but good to hear things from the other point of view so thank you for that.
We have a few weeks to make our minds up what we are going to do, but will definitely move her in with the kids to get some peace and quiet!

Thank you everyone for contributing - the forum is so valuable a resource - and you are all so generous with your experience - its a huge help
 :thumbsup:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS