Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Clover  (Read 1724 times)

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Clover
« on: July 24, 2017, 07:49:55 am »
Clover seems to be taking over my fields.  This is not a problem for most of the year but I need fields without for the breeding ewes.

Any ideas how I can reduce the clover cover without resorting to sprays?

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
Re: Clover
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2017, 10:34:59 am »
Have you not got any lambs to put on the fields first? They'll eat the clover down in preference to the grass and fatten in the process. Then you can put your ewes onto the depleted field.

Why do you not want your breeding ewes on the clover? Is it because you want them to lose some condition, or are you worried about the hormonal effect?

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2017, 12:17:13 pm »

Why do you not want your breeding ewes on the clover? Is it because you want them to lose some condition, or are you worried about the hormonal effect?

Red clover can cause reduced fertility in ewes if grazed 6 weeks before and during tupping. White clover isn't such a problem.

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2017, 06:49:29 pm »
I only have four ewe lambs this year as I sold all the ones I did not want to keep as stores.  There is a mix of red clover, white clover and alsike clover.  The same fields caused haemorraghic folicles in my brood mare.  It seems the harder the fields are grazed the more the clover takes over.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2017, 07:02:08 pm »
Well high nitrogen usage depresses clover as it affects the nitrogen fixation nodules, and conversely phosphate greatly encourages clover growth. So in future I would just apply a nitrogen fertiliser, or N + K, but no P.
In the meantime, the only way for instant removal is to add a selective herbicide like 2-4,D which is not poisonous to livestock as it is a plant hormone, not toxic to animals, so you can carry on grazing it after application. (If they don't mind the taste.)
Or borrow someone else's stock to eat out the clover. (I can bring a tame cow and calf along!)

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS