Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Help With Lamb Please  (Read 1938 times)

Madmandy

• Joined Jul 2017
Help With Lamb Please
« on: July 22, 2017, 06:05:08 pm »
New user and lengthy post alert   ::)
Our lamb is about 3 months old. He was with mum and all seemed well until he was found flat out in the spell of very warm weather we had about a month ago.
He was put in a shed and taken to the vet after a couple of days because he was just sat star gazing, his head was thrown right back, he seemed to have no idea just which way up the world should be !!
The vet said it was meningitis and treated him for that.
He has been bottle fed since we found him because he wouldn't eat for himself, obviously he should still have been being fed by mum at the time.
Herein lies the problem.....i have managed to get him to eat soaked nuts. I Just put water on them til they were sloppy but he won't graze at all. If i put grass in his mouth he'll chew it and swallow it but he just can't seem to understand he has to get it for himself. If i offer him nuts he just spits them out. Its getting to a point now where milk is nowhere near enough for him.

Obviously he's missed learning this from his mum but how do I get him to realise what he needs to do.??

So desperate to help him, can anyone advise me please

Possum

• Joined Feb 2012
  • Somerset
Re: Help With Lamb Please
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2017, 05:17:25 pm »
You could try giving him some hay. They seem to instinctively nibble on it. Try doing it first thing in the morning when he has an empty tummy and will be more keen to eat. If he get used to hay he may move onto the grass by himself.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2017, 06:32:13 pm »
Perhaps mix some grass in with the other food in progressively larger proportions?  Maybe after that you could spread his other food out over the grass for him to find. Maybe he'll eventually realise that the whole world is basically an edible dinner plate!?  ;)
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 06:35:00 pm »
Is he with other sheep?
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 07:15:55 pm »
You could perhaps try mixing a little fresh grass chopped small in with his soaked feed, gradually increasing it.   Will he take the feed it it's put on the grazing rather than presented in a bucket?  Might he have sustained some brain damage due to the meningitis?   When you described the symptoms my first thought was encephalitis, most commonly due to listeriosis.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2017, 07:32:09 pm »
My first thought was CCN aka Polioencephalitis which is caused by a vit b1 deficiency (that and listeria are totally different diseases). Also known as star gazing disease. Vit b1 straight into the vein will help but if it's gone to the brain then it's normally too late. if whatever he has had has affected the brain it's probably kinder to put him down.

Madmandy

• Joined Jul 2017
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2017, 08:40:31 pm »
Kanisha, he isn't with other sheep right now, we tried but he just stood by the gate bleating and the others just ignored him.

Marches Farmer, we thought he had some brain damage as to begin with he appeared to have lost some sight and was unsteady on his feet but he appears to have recovered from all that now.

Today we tried a variety of food....greens, cucumber, broccoli, carrot, courgette....but he just shows no interest at all. If i  open his moutht and push it to his back teeth he will happily chew and swallow but if it doesn't go far enough back he will just push it all back out.
I'm going to get some starter pellets tomorrow and will try with those, soaked if necessary and will add in some grass increasing that as we go. He won't be getting a bottle in the morning in the hopes that will encourage him to eat because right now having the bottle is telling him he has a full belly but he's not getting enough nutrients from it to grow and be healthy.

He is such a little sweetheart and very loving because he obviously is looking for comfort despite being away from mum for the last few weeks...she had abandoned him on the hill.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply and help

kanisha

• Joined Dec 2007
    • Spered Breizh Ouessants
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2017, 10:12:31 pm »
put a companion sheep with him its the quickest way for him to learn.
Ravelry Group: - Ouessants & Company

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2017, 02:18:15 pm »
A little weaned ewe lamb in with him for a few weeks might help - not so much argy-bargy as with a ram lamb.

Gunestone

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2017, 05:02:27 pm »
As others have said, another lamb in with him might do a world of good. Being flock animals they instinctively copy each other, also just having some company would help.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS