Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: 4.5 month boars mounting - boar taint risk?  (Read 2357 times)

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
4.5 month boars mounting - boar taint risk?
« on: July 07, 2010, 12:14:54 am »
Hi all,

We had 2 GOS boars last year, and on only one occasion what there a glimpse of a willy sticking out for a few minutes. Never any signs of sexual interest. They went to the abbatoir at 6.5 months.

There was lots of interest from friends in our pigs, so this year we have 5 boars (brothers), and they are now nearly 5 months old. Again they are in a field of about 150sqm, lots of shade, cool water and wallows, loads of visitors and plenty of fresh food. So a non-stressed environment, we assume.
But... since the last 2 weeks, 3 of them have their willies hanging out regularly whilst making Elvis-hip-movements, and one of these keeps on trying to mount his brothers. I understand this may have to do with hierarchy, but 3 of them, whilst they're eating even? Do we risk boar taint when they go to the abbatoir at 6 months? There are no other pigs for miles around, so definitely no gilts, but do those hormones that cause boar taint care about the sex of the other pigs in the field?

I can smell boar taint easily in commercial bacon frying in a pan and it really ruins it - I dread the thought of us selling 6 half pigs that are tainted!

I'd really want to know if we need to send Mr I Mount My Brothers to the abbatoir early.  I'd also much appreciate any advice on the Improvac vaccine - is it in use yet in the UK?

Thankyou!

Eve  :wave:

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: 4.5 month boars mounting - boar taint risk?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 08:36:38 am »
Hi some of ours are attempting sex at 3 or 4 days old.  So far never had boar taint.   :D

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 08:37:46 am »
You have all males, they are still young, so although they get excited they are still sexually immature. I would take them at 6 months. I take mine at 6 months and keep boars and gilts together, some show no interest, some shag all the time! heads, sides back ends they dont care, but I wouldn't worry about boar taint with yours, you would be extremely unlucky.
As for the improvac injection, thats most likely aimed at the commercial market, commercially bred pigs mature much much younger, fatten and go to slaughter much earlier. its not something I would even consider. Hope this helps.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 09:09:43 am »
Phew!! Thanks for the quick replies, I only had last year's pigs to go by and they seemed to be celibate  ;D

Eve  :wave:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS