Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Material for a fruit cage  (Read 2279 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Material for a fruit cage
« on: July 20, 2017, 11:05:27 am »
I will be putting in a permanent fruit cage this autumn and have been thinking about materials. The obvious one is wooden posts but I have been thinking about building the structure out of rebar used in construction.

Has anyone used rebar or any other material to keep the costs down but will last many years?
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

mapahutchins

• Joined Jul 2017
  • Helston, Cornwall
  • Family starting out on a small holding adventure
Re: Material for a fruit cage
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 08:20:43 pm »
Sorry never used it but was chatting with my father-in-law and he was of the opinion that it would be a bugger to work with (cutting and fixing). Also he pointed out the ease of using wood to fix your netting etc compared to the bar...

Maybe you already factored all those considerations into your thinking?

Perris

• Joined Mar 2017
  • Gower
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2017, 06:42:48 am »
I use those bars with hooked tops (the sort often used around building sites) for all sorts of temporary uses - fencing, plant support, netting etc. They are easy to push into ground, you can fix netting with plastic ties or string, and they're practically invisible. Long bars might not work so well with something high enough to walk into though...

Scotsdumpy

• Joined Jul 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 08:38:52 am »
Depending on how big your fruit cage is have you thought of using an old greenhouse frame. We were lucky to find a large greenhouse frame when we moved in and now use it for a fruit cage. We covered it with fine fishing nets (lots round here near Fraserburgh). I'm always on the lookout for a cheap/free polytunnel frame to make a larger protected area for brassicas etc.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 04:48:40 pm »
Scaffold bars?

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 01:24:26 pm »
At a rough estimate, I have not measured the area yet, I am looking at 20ft * 30ft
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS