Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Mobile pig ark  (Read 3185 times)

lynbreckcroft

• Joined Aug 2016
Mobile pig ark
« on: July 19, 2017, 08:24:25 pm »
Hello

Has anyone built a mobile pig ark (or bought one)? I'm looking for designs for a pig ark (for 3-4 baconers) which is either light enough (yet strong) to be carried by two people or one that can easily be dismantled and moved. We'll be keeping our pigs in a woodland where they will be moved to new areas regularly. No quad access, so moving the shelter has to be done by hand. Also hoping to use materials other than corrugated iron, as we're in the Highlands and winters can be cold and windy, so insulating materials such as wood and plastic preferred...

Thanks a lot!

Pigsmightfry

• Joined Jan 2015
  • Carlisle
Re: Mobile pig ark
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2017, 10:10:00 am »
Build a few houses around the area from pallets on their edge dropped over posts with a tin roof, you can then insulate the space in the pallet to keep the draft out. The pigs can then be moved from house to house, rather than having to keep moving the house.

greenbeast

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 11:20:56 am »
Standard arks can be carried and/or dismantled

DavidandCollette

• Joined Dec 2012
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 10:04:16 am »
Have a look at the design in the Haynes Manual. Worked for me

nimbusllama

• Joined Nov 2010
  • Near Mansfield, Nottinghamshire
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2017, 11:59:13 pm »
I have made a couple of shelters for my Castlemilk Moorit sheep...especially for the ram and his companion through the winter.  I purchased 2 Ifor Williams pick-up canopies from Ebay... one for £50 and one for £25.... and 4 railways sleepers at a bargain price of £6 each... a few boards to fill the gap at the bottom and 8 hook bolts and screw eyes and the result is below, at a cost of about £50 each.  There is plenty of air as we are high up and very windy, and the sleepers will prevent the shelters blowing away!  The hook bolts can be undone and the top separated from the sleepers to make it easier to move the shelters.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS