Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Silkie cockerels  (Read 1779 times)

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Quainton,Buckinghamshire
  • Hobby farmer
Silkie cockerels
« on: July 19, 2017, 02:56:49 pm »
We have two black Silkie cockerels that I want to find a new home for.  I appreciate this isn't going to be easy as so many people have the same issue. We have three and need to just have one. They are exactly a year old and have been together since hatching in a flock of six birds. They're happy with sheep, goats and donkeys and are used to our dogs.
Just in case there's anyone on here who wants Silkies....
Thanks very much
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Silkie cockerels
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2017, 05:36:41 pm »
Actually we do want a Silkie boy to run with some 2nd year hybrid hens we'll be getting in a few weeks.  But it's a long way from Bucks...
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2017, 10:23:07 am »
It is a long way SallyintNorth but I really want them to be rehomed - if we have any friends coming down to Cornwall in the next month would you like one of them?
2 pygmy goats, 3 Ouessant sheep, 19 chickens, 2 donkeys, 2 Shetland ponies and 2 dogs

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2017, 03:26:32 pm »
It is a long way SallyintNorth but I really want them to be rehomed - if we have any friends coming down to Cornwall in the next month would you like one of them?

If you can warrant him free of lice, mites, scaly leg and so on, then, depending on timing, yes quite possibly!  Do you have some pictures?

Our situation is we are completely restocking into fully fumigated and refurbished housing.  We're getting some year old hybrids at some point next month, which are used to having a cockerel with them.  He's to be their cockerel, so, as we currently have no hens, we wouldn't be able to take him until they've arrived, otherwise he'd be on his own until they came, which we don't think would be fair on him.  If you do find someone heading this way, shout up and we can ask for an ETA on the brown girls.

Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

laurelrus

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Hobby farmer
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2017, 04:35:03 pm »
 I can take some of  the two cockerels on their own but for now they're with their little flock -
It's the bird front right! The other photos I have won't upload, apparently they're too large,
I will see if I can adjust them

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:43:12 pm by laurelrus »

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS