Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Annual Hay Decisions  (Read 1535 times)

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Annual Hay Decisions
« on: July 16, 2017, 09:54:57 pm »
Well I have just cut a quarter of my hay field, I might cut more in the morning or I might see sense and leave it.

The field was probably ready to cut a month ago but we haven't had any suitable weather.  Now the forecast is for 2 good days in a row which is the best we have seen for a while and my impatience is getting the better of me.

I guess there is a reason everyone makes silage!

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Annual Hay Decisions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2017, 10:51:22 pm »
We wondered about it a couple of days ago, but the pressure chart shows the High Pressure isn't going to hang around long enough to get the hay cut, made and baled.  We sometimes cut when we know it's going to rain overnight the first night, but later in the 5 days rain is not good.
You being able to do it a quarter at a time would spread the risk so you would be unlikely to lose the whole crop.  We'll just hang on for a few days longer  :farmer:
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

oor wullie

• Joined Jun 2012
  • Strathnairn
Re: Annual Hay Decisions
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 08:25:06 pm »
Well,  the weather was better than I feared but I would have still liked more time!

Hay was cut on Sunday night and got a touch wet overnight.  Turned 3 times on Monday and 4 times on Tuesday.  Both days were hot (for us - 20c) and windy.  Turned once today before my hay turner broke (and was then welded by a very kind neighbour).  Baled this afternoon and now have about 130 bales in the shed.   It is very green looking but feels properly dry, hopefully the shed won't go on fire, I will be checking quite a lot!

Glad I didn't cut any more as we wouldn't have managed it before the rain tonight.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS