Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hen house conversion/refurbishment recommendations - please  (Read 5842 times)

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
Re: Hen house conversion/refurbishment recommendations - please
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2017, 06:00:09 pm »
Twinwall polycarbonate would make a reasonably effective roof for the run.  I use galv. feeders and take them inside at night. 

Steph Hen

• Joined Jul 2013
  • Angus Scotland.
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2017, 10:07:07 pm »
Looks good!  :thumbsup:
I've seen images of diy treadle feeders on google images that didn't look too bad. Try feeding in the run and see how you get on. I used to leave my birds feeder in the house always full and just fed them a bit here and there outside. Never had any bother with vermin taking it.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2017, 10:01:45 pm »
All of the above recommendations and then visit your local cat protection and rehome some feral cats,we did and i`ve not seen a mouse or rat in 3 years except the dead ones the 3 cats bring to the front door.

5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2017, 01:45:44 pm »
But what about Toxoplasmosis if you keep sheep, plus the effect on other wildlife?   We came here with two fairly elderly cats and didn't replace them when they died.  14 years on and the area immediately around the farmhouse hums with everything from Firecrests to Great Crested Newts to Shrews.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 07:26:20 pm »
But what about Toxoplasmosis if you keep sheep, plus the effect on other wildlife?   We came here with two fairly elderly cats and didn't replace them when they died.  14 years on and the area immediately around the farmhouse hums with everything from Firecrests to Great Crested Newts to Shrews.

Im guessing this is for me ?

The cats are caught in traps and taken to the vets quite regular as a normal cat would be,as we live in the middle of about 200 acres or more of forest and the cats spend more time in the woods than in the paddock with the sheep. Not had 1 bird,newt or shrew left outside. Just mice + rats thats not to say they havent caught and eaten them without me seeing but im sure domestic cats kill birds etc too.?

As for my sheep most are in the freezer now with just 2 to go in september.

Im surrounded by sheep farmers with thousands of sheep and they have feral cats all over the place + feral cats are everywhere up and down the Uk so maybe most british lamb could be at risk ?
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

kernow64

• Joined Dec 2016
  • Brecknockshire
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2017, 08:31:20 pm »
Thanks all for replies.

I managed to get some end of line slightly damaged clear, corrugated pvc half price from local diy store so the run is now covered.

Feeder - still work in progress on this.

Cats - we declined the previous owners offer of their barn cat (the name "Houston" suggested that it might be a problem!) and although Mrs K is keen, I'm not convinced that they will be good fun r the local ground nesting bird population but we will have to see how the potential vermin problem pans out.

Looking forward to getting our girls at the weekend.  :)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS