Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Splayed legs?  (Read 2269 times)

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
Splayed legs?
« on: July 12, 2017, 11:02:44 am »
Hi

Can splayed legs happen at any stage? My chicks are now 17 days and one is hobbling slightly this morning and sitting down more than usual. It seems to have a rather wide stance and balance issues. Left leg looks slightly 'out' and left wing being used to aid balance at times. Feeding and drinking fine.
Hatched 6, had to dispatch one after 2 weeks of being unable to repair its double slipped tendons.
Have them in large box, lined with newspaper and wood shavings, topped with kitchen roll, so they're not slipping about.

They are Cobbs, so growing like billy-o. Fed on organic chick crumb and some greens introduced this week, which they love. 

They are my first meat chickens. Have posted before that I got these so that I would HAVE to dispatch them when the time came and wouldn't be tempted to keep them.......

Anyhow - could this be early splayed leg? It doesn't look dramatic like the pics on the internet. Maybe an injury? Should I 'wait and see' or take pre-emptive action and tape it's legs?

Advice welcome please.

Sally

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Re: Splayed legs?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2017, 11:07:15 am »
With that breed at that age I'd suspect an injury or dislocation. Assuming it's looked fine until now?
Can you manipulate the limbs and compare the two legs?

I am not an expert though. If it is dislocation, I think I'd cull for current and future welfare.

Alex_

• Joined Jul 2016
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 12:22:32 pm »
I know ducklings have issues when they don't get enough niacin in their diet.
was it a slow build up or did it just happen? might of gotten tramped by the others

docsal

• Joined Feb 2017
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »
Seems to have normal movement on examining both legs. Not peeping to indicate pain on examination. Definitely a new thing today.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 02:44:01 pm »
I've never raised commercial meat birds but have occasionally seen splayed legs in other breeds - generally becomes apparent 4-7 days old.  Often fixed by taping the legs above the joint for a couple of days but if that doesn't work they're culled as it only gets worse and they start walking on their hocks.

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2017, 02:57:17 pm »
Grown cobbs before + as all they do is eat,drink+poop they get too big for their legs to carry them.
From 2 - 3 weeks old mine would hardly move around except to the feeder/drinker.
Killed mine at 8 weeks old and they weighed 3 - 4KG Dressed ..(NEVER AGAIN)

5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS