Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Who keeps bees?  (Read 12881 times)

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
Re: Who keeps bees?
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2010, 08:15:26 pm »
Sorry to be thick Anke, can you explain 'atrificially swarmed' please - I'm sure your explanation will be clearer than the numerous books I've read!

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2010, 09:32:55 pm »
Mine usually start to build queen cells in early/mid may. I then separate the (old) queen from the the flying bees to prevent swarming. I take a frame with one good queen cell (preferably unsealed), put it into a new brood box and also add fresh (foundation only) combs + the supers. I then put this "new" queen in the place of the hive and move the "old" broodbox (with all other queen cells removed, but hopefully the old queen in it) to a new place at least one, but preferably two metres away. This means the flying bees will return to the old place but with the new queen, and the old one doesn't swarm. The old hive (at the new place) will need a super in about a week/two weeks, as nurse bees start flying. At the end of summer I try to unite, and if I see her will kill the old queen (depends on how old she is).

It doesn't always work, especially if the queen cell had already been sealed, they might already have taken off....

However this way you don't have to find the queen (I am not very good (patient) at this), you only have to make sure that she is NOT on the frame you put into the new hive. This year all three of mine have been successful, in that all three have new laying queens in them, but two of the old ones have died (or had already died when I did the swarming procedure), so so far so good.

I found one book very good, the "Teach yourself beekeeping", it describes this method. The other bee book that I htink is fairly simple (and understandable) is "Bees at the bottom of the garden".

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 10:34:07 pm »
I've seen a couple of people marking their queens so they can find them easily - saw it at the RHS a couple of weekends ago too.  They use special paint in a sort of pen,(all sorts of colours) trap her with a pronged frame that sits on the cells when you first find her, then dab her head with the paint, wait a minute or so for it to dry then release her.  I was amazed at how easy it was and how easily found she is afterwards.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 10:35:54 pm »
Hubby tells me you can clip their wings too....now I've done a chicken, but a bee???  :o ;D

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2010, 10:42:11 pm »
It looks quite easy to mark a queen if someone else is doing it.... I only see my queens VERY rarely, usually just check for eggs/uncapped brood and assume that all is well. Works fine for me.

I don't want to clip my queens' wings, as I think that the additional stress of not being able to swarm/fly may be just too much. Last year I had serious problems with getting my young queens mated (weather mainly I think), so swarming artificially and keeping them apart until new queen has started laying is safer.

But my main reason is really that it takes a long time to find the queen in the hive....

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2010, 11:04:33 pm »
Hubby tells me you can clip their wings too....now I've done a chicken, but a bee???  :o ;D
He he - until Anke replied I thought you were taking the proverbial 8)
I helped with marking my friend's queens  - the ones they have been breeding - and it was easy once the frame was over them.  the only thing to watch was that you didn't kill one of the others with the prongs.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

starcana

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2010, 11:11:18 pm »
thank for that - as I said, I'm in the 'infants' class' still and so even spotting the queen is not easy (and not happened yet). But very new to all this and happy to listen, look and learn. Guess it will all come in time. I have both the books you mentioned, thanks again.

lazybee

• Joined Mar 2010
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 06:03:33 am »
 :o :o The queen marking paint goes on the thorax. don't put it on the head. The paint can be bought from bee suppliers and is colour coded for year White Yellow Red Green Blue. I only use white or yellow (the easiest to see) as I know my queens, by the way red is very difficult to spot.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 10:00:40 am »
:o :o The queen marking paint goes on the thorax. don't put it on the head. The paint can be bought from bee suppliers and is colour coded for year White Yellow Red Green Blue. I only use white or yellow (the easiest to see) as I know my queens, by the way red is very difficult to spot.
I was sure they said the head - why is it on the body, LB?

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 12:43:06 pm »

the different colours relate to different years, ie so you can "age" your queen.

Why You Rear Good Bees,
it starts with the year ending in a 1 i
i.e. 2001 is white, 2002 yellow and so on until 2006 when the cycle repeats with white again.

2010 queens should be marked blue !
Little Blue

pottsie

• Joined Jan 2010
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 02:07:27 pm »
Just got my first hive last night, really excited spent half the morning cleaning/watching the animals. Now i know what they mean by addictive! i know i wont get any honey this year, but it will be nice to get some experience working with them first. Is anyone with bees up in Co Durham?

Rob.  ;D

Greenerlife

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Leafy Surrey
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2010, 05:13:34 pm »
Took my very first lot of honey off today.  Only got 5 frames worth so hardly worth putting it in an extractor.  Any genius ways of getting it out?  There is only so much honey I can eat off the comb and spit the wax out!  ;D

little blue

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Derbyshire
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2010, 06:20:15 pm »
do that then!  comb honey sells for plenty!
how many frames does your extractor take?

you could melt it - the wax floats to the top, though may need alot of straining ?!
Little Blue

bibs

• Joined Jul 2009
  • dorset
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 06:35:42 pm »
Hi !!
I keep bees !! 3rd year now. I can't say I'm qualified to give any advice but it's great to know that there are other bee keepers out there to talk to. I have now 7 hives - started with one. Took honey only after 2 years so that they would get through the winters and prosper. But really , I am a complete beginner. Don't we need a bee 'smiley' icon ??? x

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2010, 01:05:19 am »
Ive concidered it on may occations especialy since the worrying problems and their future. maybe one day Ill take the plunge.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS