Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Deworming  (Read 1267 times)

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Deworming
« on: July 09, 2017, 12:25:30 pm »
Hi. I've been told I should give a second dose of wormer, to catch 'floaters', I've been using Noromectin, just bought Rycoben, (is this OK for Goats? ), do others give a second treatment a couple of weeks after first?

fsmnutter

• Joined Oct 2012
  • Fettercairn, Aberdeenshire
Re: Deworming
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 04:24:00 pm »
As a vet, I've never heard anyone suggest a second dose to catch "floaters".
What even are floaters?!
Rycoben is a different class of drug to noromectin and may well have resistance within some worms. It would be generally recommended to give double dose of this wormer for goats, but your vets should be advising you on this anyway as all wormers are off licence for goats so should only be used after consultation and prescription by a vet.
They will also be able to discuss wormer resistance as it may be that people are suggesting a second dose because not all the worms are killed - which means you need to do faecal egg counts and consult with your vet as to whether you have resistance, which means you may need to consider your worming plan, may need to change drugs, consider other management regimes including use of rotational grazing.

Penninehillbilly

• Joined Sep 2011
  • West Yorks
Re: Deworming
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2017, 06:27:59 pm »
It was a fellow boer keeper who does it, says that what he was told to do, floaters are the parasites not feeding at the time of treatment (it's a couple of years since this was discussed, may be slightly wrong on the feeding bit).
Agricultural merchant sold me Rycoben as a change from noromectin, as I'm also treating sheep, never thought of consulting with vet. As I can't rotate grazing, I'm presuming they needed treating, missed treating ewe after lambing, shes a bit loose, and her female lamb isnt doing as well as she should be, seems fit otherwise. Hoping to get them on fresh grazing soon.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS