Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Flies / spotinor  (Read 1731 times)

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
Flies / spotinor
« on: July 09, 2017, 10:54:47 am »
Is everyone else having a ridiculous year for flies?
I'm trying to decide whether spotinor is a bit rubbish, or whether it's simple overload of the winged pests  :-\

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
Re: Flies / spotinor
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2017, 11:22:00 am »
Flies haven't been a problem with our animals but in the house we are driven mad by biting houseflies.

When I was a child whenever we did a long journey the car number plate was covered by dead insects but you rarely see that these days. However, I did notice my son's number plate had several when he cam back from a motorway trip recently.  Maybe there are more and I guess it is the weather.

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 12:31:01 pm »
Im really impressed with the red top fly catcher bags you see on Amazon.  If you can place them close to home/animals youll def see an improvement.  Sadly there is no answer to the animal fly.  Even certain strong chemicals dont deter them and as we are organic there is nothing we can use.  Placing animals close to shade and traps is the only anwser.

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2017, 11:03:28 am »
I haven't seen the traps, I'll look them up.
I did some searching around some kind of self-applied fly deterrents, and got a lot of US ranchers discussing hessian sacks of some sort f chemical dust, or using something involving diesel  ???

My other problem is that our remit is based around attracting wildlife, so I can't remove the insect food source for the birds etc. I need a "bird buffet over here" sign!

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS