Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: is organic worth the effort  (Read 3883 times)

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
is organic worth the effort
« on: July 06, 2010, 11:13:52 am »
hi, id just like to hear peoples opinions, iv kept pigs in the past always free range, bought them at 8-10 weeks and finished them,,4 or 5 at a time and never lost money, now im thinking of changing over a few acres initally 2 but with the possibility of 10 acres, i was thinking of getting tamworth mothers and possible crossing them with some other breed, the only problem i can see in my plan is the cost of organic feed stuff, the labour building of huts will be no problem,im wondering can i buy bulk organic barley corn from uk or ireland and mix it myself at home, i live in ireland, thanks in advance i look forward to any replys

Hilarysmum

• Joined Oct 2007
Re: is organic worth the effort
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 11:22:57 am »
I asked much the same question, although living in France, not UK.  General opinion is its a heck of a lot of work and expense for little extra.   :pig:

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 11:27:31 am »
im thinking if i had 6-8 breeding sows, maybe maybe 10, that it might be more profitable than 2 or 3 a lot of the set up running costs would be the same .maybe its not something you can do on a small scale, selling 80- 100 pigs a year may make it vivable

dixie

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 11:59:57 am »
I think amny are wary that organic isn't exactly that! Free range, outdoor reared has more appeal, me thinks anyway!

paullewis

• Joined May 2010
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 12:28:58 pm »
I'd rather buy free range outdoor pork that I know where it comes from, and you can go see the happy pigs if you want, safe in the knowledge that the animal I am eating has had a happy life and won't of had unnecessary additives and proteins fed to it for the sake of it, rather than going for the organic label.  Yes, maybe there have been a few chemicals used somewhere in the line, but still, if it's a healthy happy pig, that suits me better!

Mr Pig

• Joined Mar 2009
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 12:37:27 pm »
The extra you will have to pay for Organic feed alone (even organic barley) will never make financial sense and you will make a loss on every pig sold.

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:39:12 pm »
I agree with the other posts. I've become a little sceptical about the "organic" label in respect of meat in particular. I'd rather buy local, free range pork meat, that has been raised with minimal environmental impact than organic. For example, I'd buy British bacon from freerange pigs in preference to organic Dutch or Danish bacon any day of the week.

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 01:43:29 pm »
thanks for all your replys, i live in a quiet rural area, i understand your points about free range etc,but as someone pointed out if people come see your pigs living healthy free range, would it not be an extra bonus to know they are organic too, maybe im just trying to convince myself

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 05:01:04 pm »
It would be worth asking around your local area and prospective customers.  When I first started I thought that 'organic' was the way to go, presuming people would pay the extra for that label.

In fact my customers are really looking for happy, healthy, outdoor reared, free range pigs.  They aren't bothered about the 'organic' status.  I felt that it wasn't worth the extra costs involved in registering as organic.

I find that customers love to come and look around and see the pigs.....and buy the pork.  They just like to know where their food is coming from and that the animals are well looked after.

Let us know what you decide. 

Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 06:22:13 pm »
i will update thanks, im currently pricing feed stuff,iv just got a very good price for organic feed, and im going to meet advisor and go on organic farm walk next week, so ill decide in next few weeks, thanks, ps julie i like your idea of people walking around farm before they buy,

Fowgill Farm

• Joined Feb 2009
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 11:18:13 am »
This was discussed a few weeks ago.

this thread might help

http://www.accidentalsmallholder.net/forum/index.php/topic,8022.0.html

I'm with everyonelse free range, local & natural.

hth
Mandy

suziequeue

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Llanidloes; Powys
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 10:06:53 pm »
No - it's a marketing gimmick.

Provenance is far more important in my view.

Susanna
We do the best we can with the information we have

When we know better we do better

langdon

• Joined Sep 2009
  • Pembrokeshire
  • The Happy Smallholder!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 10:14:50 pm »
where do you live sean? im from trim in co.meath.
living over ere in tenby south wales.
we got  :pig: :cat: :chook: :dog: :goat:
Langdon ;)

supersean

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 10:35:55 pm »
from mayo, dont mention 96 lol

oaklandspigs

• Joined Nov 2009
  • East Sussex
    • OaklandsPigs
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 07:44:23 pm »
Echo the other responses.

People are interested in what your set up is -and are looking for outdoor free range, well looked after pigs, brought up with care, fed well, and butchered with skill and attention, and sold to customer with concern for what the customer wants. They are looking for you to sell them something which you can say where it came from, and what you have done with it - with provenance as S says.  Organic does not tend to bring in more revenue, indeed the "top end" market is fairly small pool with not many paying the premium.  Aim for the above market, give your customers recipe cards with ideas on what to do with the cuts and they willbe queueing out of the door !

Good luck

www.Oaklandspigs.co.uk
"Perfect Pigs" the complete guide to keeping pigs; One Day Pig Courses in South East;
Weaners for sale - Visit our site for details

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS