Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Pygmy Goats poisoning !  (Read 2449 times)

Adriangunner

• Joined Jul 2017
Pygmy Goats poisoning !
« on: July 06, 2017, 10:40:25 am »
Hi !

We've got alpacas and chickens and would like to expand our flock with 2 or 3 Pygmy goats. We have plenty of land and are very happy for all our animals to explore the paddock as well as the garden. The snag is that we have been reading about what Pygmy goats can, should not and must not eat and the information we have found seems to be quite contradictory. Would any of you good people be able to advise us particularly with regard to Lilac and Box hedge ? We have read that they are real no no's for Pygmy goats but also in other places that Lilac and Box aren't a problem.

Any advise would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
Re: Pygmy Goats poisoning !
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 03:46:17 pm »
Hi I'm no expert, but I would be cautious and remove both.  Privet is extremely poisonous to goats so I'm presuming box would be the same?  We had wild privet which nearly killed 2 of ours - so look out for that too.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
Re: Pygmy Goats poisoning !
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 11:25:10 pm »
No to box but lilac is fine. My goats eat it and have never had nasty effects. Generally speaking, avoid anything with shiny leaves. And ragwort, foxgloves, buttercups and a few others.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS