Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: equine friendly wild flower meadow seed  (Read 5162 times)

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
equine friendly wild flower meadow seed
« on: July 05, 2017, 04:25:18 pm »
Has anyone been able to find a bulk supplier that does horse friendly wild flower meadow seed?

Thanks

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
Re: equine friendly wild flower meadow seed
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 08:08:43 pm »
Most seed firms will make up a mix for you.

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 09:24:26 am »
All my usual suppliers have mixes on the shelf, but they all contain items not horse friendly within the flower seed make up

Buttermilk

• Joined Jul 2014
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 03:31:34 pm »
Have a word with the seed rep as they make up the mixes so it is easy to leave out/substitute an ingredient if you are buying a reasonable quantity

Chaffy

• Joined Jul 2017
  • Northamptonshire
    • The Floating Smallholder Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 03:46:48 pm »
I've been using these guys on and off in the slow process of reseeding our paddocks to make herby, horsey havens  :)

https://www.cotswoldseeds.com/
Occasionally I update a blog with my madness and people say "oh I get it now"

https://thefloatingsmallholder.wordpress.com/

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 04:29:35 pm »
In what way would a wild flower meadow not be horse friendly?
Surely horses have been grazing this sort of natural meadow for centuries. :thinking:
Yes, I do realise some plants are potentially more likely to cause harm than others, but "poisonous" in a natural mixture is more due to a plant's potential to poison if taken in sufficient quantity, than its likelihood to cause death at first nibble.
Think about it logically - salt is poisonous if taken in sufficient quantity, yet we all eat a certain amount of it in or on our food every day.
I was watching my donkeys yesterday eat a plant that was quite prevalent in the dry pasture they are on at present. I looked it up and was informed it contains oxalic acid and causes scouring if eaten (and presumably therefore would be classed as poisonous.) They have been nibbling it for some time, amongst the other vegetation they browse on, yet it has done them no harm because it is sufficiently diluted, as would any other individual variety be in a seed mix.
So, to me, it's a matter of degree. You aren't, presumably, planning on growing a monoculture of "poisonous" plants, but a mixture of which by far the dominant seeds are grass. By all means check that there's nothing you would consider to be totally toxic, but I personally wouldn't be too worried. 
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

PipSqueak

• Joined Apr 2014
  • South West Carmarthenshire
    • Black Orchard
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 09:17:48 am »

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 02:15:02 pm »
Many thanks PipSqueak and Chaffy I will get the books out and go through the contents. hopefully I can find a happy medium between attracting more bees and not causing more laminitis problems.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS