Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: New new and more new  (Read 1225 times)

prmdc098

• Joined Oct 2017
New new and more new
« on: October 07, 2017, 04:33:53 pm »
Hello all, I am Brian, I live in Dundee with my partner and our 2 sons.

I am really really wanting to get into small holding or possibly farming but how do you do it. I live in the city and we both work in the city. I am so keen to do this while I am young but so scared to leave me job incase things don't work out.

My passion is to raise and sell pigs and maybe even sheep. I cant afford to relocate so would need to rent land from somewhere but no idea where to start looking at that either. I do have horse handling experience from volunteering at a riding school.

Are there any others out there who have just grabbed this and went and done it? if so can I have your advice please.

Brian  ;D

Bionic

• Joined Dec 2010
  • Talley, Carmarthenshire
Re: New new and more new
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 08:52:11 pm »
Hi Brian and welcome to the forum.
I can't help with your specific questions but I am sure there will be others along who have some good advice
Life is like a bowl of cherries, mostly yummy but some dodgy bits

Lesley Silvester

• Joined Sep 2011
  • Telford
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:20:50 pm »
Hi Brian and welcome. If you really want to do it, I'm sure you'll find a way and someone on here will be able to advise. Good luck!

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 07:36:09 am »
I am so keen to do this while I am young but so scared to leave me job in case things don't work out.

I'd say don't leave your job, especially if you have family commitments. Is there a way you could manage a smallholding around your work (Mrs Womble and I both work full time), or can you figure out a part time or flexitime arrangement that allows you to keep animals too?

Starting out in smallholding is hard enough, and there is a very steep learning curve. If you 'have' to make money out of it at the same time too, that piles an awful lot of pressure on, which you could really do without!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS