Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Delayed/transplanted winter veg  (Read 1563 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
Delayed/transplanted winter veg
« on: July 05, 2017, 08:41:41 am »
So my solicitor tells me that we should be completing on the purchase of my new place in about 4 weeks time.  :excited:

There are vegetable beds galore at this place and I would really like to get some winter plants in to make the most of what I've got.  I have seeds for overwintering cabbage, cauliflower, etc... but they all say to sow directly where they are to be grown.  Worst case I'm guessing is it could be mid-August before we're there and able to start planting, etc.

Is there any harm in planting starting the plants now in pots and then planting them out just to give them a head start on growing?  Or should I just wait until we get there? I know some plants don't like root disturbance, but seeing as you can buy these plants from mail order catalogues to be mailed out... ???

I was going to order the plants from one of the usual places (Marshalls, etc) but on reflection it seemed a very pricey way to get some tiny plants which I could easily grow myself... if I wasn't about to move house. I wondered what other would do.  Thanks in advance :)

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
Re: Delayed/transplanted winter veg
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 12:08:19 pm »
When Mr F was in the Services, we used to move around a lot.  Much of my sowing was done into pots, and often planted out at weird times.  Most stuff worked.  Make sure you have a really good compost, and pot on if the plants start to look starved or squashed into too small a pot.
It might be a bit late for winter cabbage, so check the packet carefully. If it is late, try kale instead.  A variety such as Dwarf Green Curled will soon catch up, and can be cropped at every stage. Also Spring Cabbage.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 03:00:29 pm »
Thanks :)  It's good to know it can be done.  I bought seeds that specifically have July/Aug (onwards) for autumn sowings, but they all say sow where they are to be grown... so I wondered if I would be wasting my time.  I'll have a go... it'll be one more thing to move  ::) but worth it once we have winter and early veg coming in...

Terry T

• Joined Sep 2014
  • Norfolk
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 04:10:19 pm »
I always grow cabbage family in pots first as they can get eaten off by so many things. I grow for a veg box scheme and cabbage family that do well from later sowings include spring cabbage and kale, rocket, chinese cabage, brocolli raab and you could also try turnips and mooli, although these might work better from the ground. Not too late for lettuce either, and by Sept you can start on onions, garlic and later broad beans (Nov in Norfolk).

Have fun.... and if your pennies ever allow it, a polytunnel means you can have veg all year round. We don't buy any at all....and eat a largely veggie diet...

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:25:43 pm »

Have fun.... and if your pennies ever allow it, a polytunnel means you can have veg all year round. We don't buy any at all....and eat a largely veggie diet...

The was a polytunnel there, but is now gone, I'm not sure what happened to it, but I found the poles for it in one of the outbuildings.  Though I'm not sure how complete a set it is... but I do intend to reinstate the polytunnel as soon as I can afford it.  There is a greenhouse though.  I've never had one of those before so I am looking forward to seeing what I can do with it!  It's a whole new world for me!  Exciting...  :eyelashes:

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS