Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Fencing Opinion?  (Read 3587 times)

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
Fencing Opinion?
« on: July 01, 2017, 11:05:16 pm »
Property we bought this year is in need of fencing upgraded, thinking of doing post and rail and lining with barrier safety mesh to keep the sheep from having any gaps to try sneak through ???? Have attached a picture of mesh!

What's everyone's thoughts on this?

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
Re: Fencing Opinion?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:13:41 pm »
What sort of sheep? 
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:15:29 pm »
Currently have 2 x 14 month olds and 1 x 2 months old, looking to hopefully breed next year so want to get sorted out this year! Also have horses in field with them

SallyintNorth

• Joined Feb 2011
  • Cornwall
  • Rarely short of an opinion but I mean well
    • Trelay Cohousing Community
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2017, 11:57:09 pm »
What breed / type? 

Actually, I don't think I think that sort of mesh is a good plan for other than a very temporary stop gap (literally), whatever the breed of sheep.  And especially if there are horses too.

I'd use proper stock fencing, or, if they're big, docile sheep, maybe you could get away with a strand of wire between the top rails and two or three under the middle one.  But my primitives get through parallel wires ::). Only pukka stock fencing works with them.
Don't listen to the money men - they know the price of everything and the value of nothing

Live in a cohousing community with small farm for our own use.  Dairy cows (rearing their own calves for beef), pigs, sheep for meat and fleece, ducks and hens for eggs, veg and fruit growing

pharnorth

• Joined Nov 2013
  • Cambridgeshire
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 06:27:56 am »
Not sure why you would want to do this unless it is much more cost effective?  Initially I put all post and rail around my fields as were then predominantly for horses. Latterly as we have polled sheep,and horned angora goats replacements have been stock netting.  The best all purpose/ cost effective option is stock fencing with a single top rail as it looks good and keeps everything in, horses, pigs, goats, sheep. A single electric wire keeps the big ones from leaning on it too.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 06:58:38 am »
Would be much better off with stock fence or electric fence. If that orange stuff got caught up in little hooves it would be a disaster ! No point skimping on fencing with sheep, do it properly for piece of mind and safety

Dogwalker

• Joined Nov 2011
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 07:45:14 am »
The plastic stuff goes brittle after a year or two.  I had some around a garden bed to keep the visiting dogs off and it's ripped when I've been pulling long grass out of it.  Also doesn't look very good even the green stuff.

DartmoorLiz

• Joined Jan 2012
  • Devon
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 05:36:50 pm »
We have horned blackface sheep and lleyns and I've used that stuff to temporarily patch some stone faced banking until we get the job done properly.  Its still waiting for the proper job 5 years later.  Its kept up relatively well.  When they do break it its easy to sew together with bailer twine and then the place looks really classy.

The proper job will be done with clippex when it is eventually done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c8_HM6_nVo
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 05:38:22 pm by DartmoorLiz »
Never ever give up.

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 05:40:21 pm »
The fences must be rough if that is an upgrade!
That won't be sufficient or long lasting, I'd do it properly the first time as it will last for years then  :thumbsup:

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 08:31:35 pm »
no chance in my experience theyll be out in no time.  Its pedestrian safety fencing.  I do use it around gates with lambs as a temp measure but its only for a short time.  In wind it'll rip, theyll escape underneath. Good quality fencing with top notch stakes is dear and can add up over lengths but  there is no alternative. Electric fence is good but again that depends on the breed and if they are experienced in it. Takes management to keep changing the battery and you need to be confident in setting it up correctly. Dont use electric fence or any mesh with horned sheep.

LeanneR88

• Joined Jan 2014
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 10:33:05 am »
Thanks everyone it was a suggestion by a friend but was unsure if correct or not!!

Have a few fencing contractors coming round this week to quote for Livestock Fencing :)

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2017, 10:46:23 am »
I tried to use that stuff once to make a temporary duck run, with rebar rods as posts. TBH it was a disaster - it went all saggy, and they kept getting out.

It might be better attached to wooden posts, but like others have said, proper rylock would be ten times better.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 02:12:43 pm »
Our neighbour used it to fill gaps in the fence where trees had come down and crushed the sheep wire.  Absolute rubbish - got blown about, went brittle, ripped and was about as much use keeping deer off our land as a chocolate teapot.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 06:08:27 pm »
I agree - its a temp fence - that stuff shatterers after a year or so in sunlight - plus they can get under it by pushing as it has no tensile strength.

If your spending 3 times as much to do post and rail - you may as well fill in the gaps with a bit of stock fence.

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 06:09:35 pm »
Dont pin it between either cos your posts will rot before the rails.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS