Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: What to do with these paddocks  (Read 4303 times)

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
What to do with these paddocks
« on: June 30, 2017, 08:49:57 am »
So I went up to the property we're buying, whilst the solicitors are still chewing over the contracts (c'mon!  hurry up!!) to see what's what there.  As the property has been vacant for most of this year, it's quite over grown... I'm hoping we'll be moved in within the next 4 or so weeks.  I've attached a photo of my medium sized dog (17.5kg) standing in one of the paddocks to give you an idea of (a) what's growing there and (b) how tall it is.  I've ID'd the little yellow flowers as yellow meadow vetchling.  The rest I have no idea.

I've also attached an arial view of the whole property to give you an idea of what I have - perhaps you have some good suggestions?  This property is in West Wales by the way... Carmarthenshire.

My question is... what do I do with these fields in the first instance.  Can they be cut for hay of some sort?  Or are they past that?  If so, what's the best way to clear them?  The fields themselves (about 2-2.5 acres - divided into two paddocks) look pretty good, with the start of a nettle invasion on the edges, and maybe some brambles.  I haven't been able to walk all the way to top of the paddocks as the grass is so tall and it's quite uneven underfoot. 

In an ideal world, getting someone local to come in and make small bales of hay (a few to keep, the rest to sell on, or even use as payment for the work) would be perfect.  But in truth, I don't know a thing about it. Once the land is back in shape, perhaps put some animals on for grazing and fertilzing (see separate post about sheep poo!).

Many thanks for taking the time to read the incoherent ramblings of a complete newbie!  xxx

Sbom

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Staffordshire
Re: What to do with these paddocks
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 09:23:55 am »
Looks perfect for hay   :thumbsup: if you miss the boat for hay ( shouldn't though as plenty of summer left) you can wrap it instead.

If the ground isn't suitable for mowing then cattle are the next best thing...it's way to long for sheep

Once cut get some animals on to keep it in check

What did previous owner do with it?

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 09:35:36 am »
I don't actually know what they did with it. It's been vacant since it went on the market. However, I do believe they had various animals over the years (they lived there 18 years) as there are various animal pens in one of the barns, a few stables and I spotted a saddle in one of the estate agent pictures (now gone). I guess once we're moved in we can speak to the neighbours to find out more.

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 11:15:58 am »
Lovely hay or haylage meadow .... most people here abouts tend to make haylage.  Where is Carmarthenshire is your place?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 11:22:56 am »
Lovely hay or haylage meadow .... most people here abouts tend to make haylage.  Where is Carmarthenshire is your place?

Just outside Newcastle Emlyn (Penrherber).... so I still need to find someone local who can do the job for us.  Suggestions welcome!

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2017, 11:34:54 am »
Not too close to us ... near Llandeilo so sorry cant help with suggestions ....  Welcome to 'not so sunny' Carmarthenshire though :)
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

shep53

• Joined Jan 2011
  • Dumfries & Galloway
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 12:32:35 pm »
While I agree looks ok for hay/haylage , you say it is very uneven for walking  ( horses in winter ? ) this may be a problem for  machinery  ?   Maybe when you move in you can speak to neighbours as to suitability for cutting

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2017, 12:40:30 pm »
While I agree looks ok for hay/haylage , you say it is very uneven for walking  ( horses in winter ? ) this may be a problem for  machinery  ?   Maybe when you move in you can speak to neighbours as to suitability for cutting
I only made it a short way up the hill, but I did find it hard to get my footing... and found myself spontaneously cloud gazing at one point...  :innocent:

Duchess

• Joined Jun 2017
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2017, 01:00:04 pm »
Looks to be a beautiful spot and that grass is perfect for hay.

I hope you will be very happy ..... once you get in x

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2017, 01:47:44 pm »
What is your ultimate intended use for your acreage?

What you have in the foreground of your picture is a wildflower meadow, which in itself is a wonderful wildlife refuge. Flying pollinators love that yellow vetch, for example, and wonderful iconic wild birds such as curlew, oystercatcher, lark and peewits will nest there - in fact they may already be nesting there, and you shouldn't disturb them.   The foreground is also too short and scrappy for hay. If you want to keep it as a meadow, then let all the flowers you can find there set seed before you cut it.  You might even find orchids if you're quick as this is their season.

The taller grass in the background could well do with being cut if you are going for neat and tidy, but will come to no harm if you leave it until you put your own animals on.  Overwinter the long stalks will die off and new grass will grow through it. It would get a bit matted, but one winter followed by some Primitive sheep would soon eat it down.

What you do may depend on the proportions of wildflower meadow to harvestable grass in the paddocks

When we bought our place, the previous owner sidled off leaving a standing crop of good quality hay.  One of our conditions of buying was that the hay should be cut and taken away before completion 'according to good agricultural practice'.  This was because we had no equipment of our own, but wanted to graze it straight away. The previous owner arranged with neighbours to cut and keep the crop, before we moved in.

If you want to have it all mown, then let the person doing the work make the decision as to whether the ground is suitable for his/her machinery.  Perhaps your new neighbours can suggest someone, or you could identify the local contractor.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2017, 02:08:05 pm »
Thanks Fleecewife... this is exactly the sort of information and advice I adore.  I'm all for leaving things for wildlife... and have already stood marvelling at the birds I can see around there that I don't see at my current home near Bristol city centre!  I lived in Wales one summer, in the black mountains, and I used to convene with the birds around my caravan (where I lived that summer) every single day.  So they are definitely part of my plan.

The bit of land in the photo is right up behind the barns, so the very edge of the acreage. When you look at the aerial view, and see the hay barn (with the high roof) and to the right of that you can see a caravan.  Well, I was stood a little further on from that caravan, but not that far away.  The fields do level out more once you get away from that bit, but with the grass so long, I couldn't see where I was putting my feet, so didn't attempt to get any further.

When I'm all settled in, bees will feature in my plan... so flowers will be looked after carefully.  As well as these paddocks, there's probably another acre-ish of garden surrounding the house that is packed with flowers and I don't even know what else.  I saw fumitory, daisies, foxgloves, clematis, wild and cultivated roses, hazel, apples, crab apples, damsons, and others that I've yet to identify.

I got the idea of hay in my mind as it would help tidy the fields for animals, whilst also producing something from the fields... but really, I don't want to keep all that hay as I don't have the demand for it currently.  I'd happily trade it for the labour of cutting it, or even pay for the labour and sell the hay if it meant just a few squids for buying stuff for the vegetable garden, etc.  I'm still getting my head around how to live from the land on this scale.  But love the idea that everything has it's value and place in the whole system.

And I do think that sheep will be the first animals I put on there and have been reading and reading, whilst trying to narrow down which kind I want, and for what purpose.  I'm figuring it out slowly... :)

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2017, 02:15:36 pm »
See if you can borrow some cows from a local farmer.  At least then you will be putting nutrients back in the ground rather than taking it away, and you'll make a new friend (hopefully).

SafeHaven

• Joined Mar 2017
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2017, 02:23:33 pm »
See if you can borrow some cows from a local farmer.  At least then you will be putting nutrients back in the ground rather than taking it away, and you'll make a new friend (hopefully).

I'm quite happy to loan out the paddocks for those already with livestock.  I can't wait to get all moved in and starting to make connections.  So am I right in understanding then that cows can eat long grass?  Twirly tongues and all that... it's been interesting learning that you don't just plonk grazing animals in a field, that they all have differing dietary needs and management.  Very interesting.  But also a bit scary if I'm honest.  I don't want to get it wrong!

YorkshireLass

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Just when I thought I'd settled down...!
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2017, 03:13:08 pm »

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2017, 03:41:06 pm »
Yes, wait for your meadow to finish flowering before putting cows in so that the insects get the most benefit!

I'm just about to burn off my large front lawn and turn it into a mini wild flower meadow :D (mostly because i'm fed up mowing it)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS