Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: "Urban Fox Attack" on More 4  (Read 4139 times)

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
"Urban Fox Attack" on More 4
« on: July 05, 2010, 12:38:49 am »
Just watched a program about urban foxes in Hackney, those poor twins who were attacked and the people who feed, rescue and look after these vermin!

Is it true that urban foxes are often "rehomed" to the countryside? if so, who's responsible for this? Are they mad? Or just selfish?

Rosemary

• Joined Oct 2007
  • Barry, Angus, Scotland
    • The Accidental Smallholder
Re: "Urban Fox Attack" on More 4
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 07:28:02 am »
I have heard that the SSPCA rehome them to the country, but that may just be a scurrilous rumour.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 08:06:16 am »
So assuming there were proof that a fox has been rehomed to my area by a do-gooder, if said fox takes my stock can I sue?

If I let my dog loose in someone's garden and it killed their cat I'd have serious problems, surely my livestock should have the same protection.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 08:22:11 am »
There was a program last year where some people and a TV crew went up on the moors and released some urban foxes. I am no lover of the fox but that must have been awful. Thoughtless bloody dogooder interference yet again. The urban fox has its dinner on a plate the country fox has to hunt for his.Them released ones surely died a horrible death of starvation.Some thing will soon have to be done about them Dogooders or not Let us hope we do not get a Rabies epidemic well if we do lets hope its the dogooder fraternity that suffer.I keep telling people It is highly unlikely that you will be bitten by a rabid fox.What will happen is one will turn out your bin and it will have licked the corned beef tin clean and you will pick it up and scratch your self with the curly piece of tin that you opened You now have the start of rabies.All right clever sod you don't eat corned beef, ??? but don't think for one minute thats the only tin it licked >:( :( :'( :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 09:34:43 am »
There was a program last year where some people and a TV crew went up on the moors and released some urban foxes. I am no lover of the fox but that must have been awful. Thoughtless bloody dogooder interference yet again. The urban fox has its dinner on a plate the country fox has to hunt for his.Them released ones surely died a horrible death of starvation.Some thing will soon have to be done about them Dogooders or not Let us hope we do not get a Rabies epidemic well if we do lets hope its the dogooder fraternity that suffer.I keep telling people It is highly unlikely that you will be bitten by a rabid fox.What will happen is one will turn out your bin and it will have licked the corned beef tin clean and you will pick it up and scratch your self with the curly piece of tin that you opened You now have the start of rabies.All right clever sod you don't eat corned beef, ??? but don't think for one minute thats the only tin it licked >:( :( :'( :farmer:
That's an extremely good point, George.  i think a lot of these 'do-gooders' don't think things through before going on their campaigns.  Look at tail docking.  A new report just out on Friday states that even dogs that aren't worked can damage their tails if they are a breed that wags its tails furiously when on a scent - like Cockers, Springers and other working breeds.  That's just one instance of do-gooders getting their own way and causing a great deal of suffering because of their lobbying and having stupid laws passed.
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sabrina

• Joined Nov 2008
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 10:11:24 am »
I am pretty sure that the fox attack we had a couple of months ago was one that had been put back into the country. It had no fear of me or the two German Shepherds watching through the garden gate. The trouble with do-gooders is they cannot see what happens in the long term. We are over run with badgers, must be interbreeding by now which is not good for any animal. They shoot the deer to keep their numbers down so why not the badger. Fox's round here are shot before lambing starts, they are clever and go to ground so not many killed. Even so they do try and keep clear of people unlike the urban fox who now depends on them for food.

whitby_sam

• Joined Feb 2008
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 10:57:33 am »
That's an extremely good point, George.  i think a lot of these 'do-gooders' don't think things through before going on their campaigns.  Look at tail docking.  A new report just out on Friday states that even dogs that aren't worked can damage their tails if they are a breed that wags its tails furiously when on a scent - like Cockers, Springers and other working breeds.  That's just one instance of do-gooders getting their own way and causing a great deal of suffering because of their lobbying and having stupid laws passed.

And look at the fox hunting ban... Yet another example of do-gooders who know little or nothing about country life getting their own way and doing more harm than good!

daniellestocks

• Joined Jun 2009
  • Nr Pickering, North Yorkshire
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:40:30 pm »
I can tell you all now matter of factly there have been plenty "rehomed" up here and killed the same night!!! Urbun foxes stand still in a lamp and get a bullet straight off! Our neighbour is the local game keeper and usally lamps most nights! Thank god!  :) dont want my chooks getting eaten, tbh i dont think a fox would dare come up our yard with all our terriers lurking about  ;D
They must be really stupid turning them out up here if they think they are "rehoming" them,  ;D ;)

Daisys Mum

• Joined May 2009
  • Scottish Borders
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2010, 02:14:11 pm »

There is an area a few miles from me where they release urban foxes and as said before these animals have no fear of humans and so come much more confidently up to hen runs etc. I have had a hen taken within 30ft of my barrow when poo picking the horses field, it just shot through the fence and grabbed the hen and ran off.
Anne

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2010, 08:00:01 pm »
I keep promoting a major cull :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

knightquest

• Joined May 2010
  • Birmingham
    • Knight Pet Supplies
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2010, 10:26:02 pm »

[/quote]That's an extremely good point, George.  i think a lot of these 'do-gooders' don't think things through before going on their campaigns.  Look at tail docking.  A new report just out on Friday states that even dogs that aren't worked can damage their tails if they are a breed that wags its tails furiously when on a scent - like Cockers, Springers and other working breeds.  That's just one instance of do-gooders getting their own way and causing a great deal of suffering because of their lobbying and having stupid laws passed.
[/quote]

Have to disagree on the tail docking point. We have seen many, many dogs with sore, weeping and infected tail stumps due to 'backyard breeders' doing it themselves and causing untold suffering. This is NOT anecdotal either. We have seen at least thirty. I have only seen one broken tail and that was shut in a door.
I'm afraid that the backyard breeders with elastic bands are to blame for this law, not do gooders.

I am in agreement that rehoming urban foxes into the countryside is utter madness though.

Ian
Ian (me), Diane (my wife) and 4 dogs. Ollie (Lab mix) , Quest (Malamute), Gazer and Boris (Leonbergers)

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS