Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Selecting solar panels  (Read 2333 times)

Part time dabbler

• Joined Aug 2016
  • Cornwall
Selecting solar panels
« on: June 22, 2017, 01:35:14 pm »
While visiting the Royal Cornwall show a couple of weeks ago I arranged to have three solar panel suppliers visit with a view to buying panels. A couple of questions have occured to me about this process which I would like your views on.

Although the suppliers were quite happy saying there was a 20 odd year warrenty on the panels they were a little less helpful when I was asking who was backing the warrenty because I bet in 15 years time when something happens to one of the panels the manufactuer/supplier wont still be around. Did anyone look into this and what did you find out?

At least one of the three suppliers contracted out installation work. What guarentees did you have on the installation and who provided it, the one man band builder they use or the supplier?

Finally who did you buy from (if you are in the Devon/Cornwall area) and how do you rate them?
Physically part time in the garden, mentally full time in the garden

Sudanpan

• Joined Jan 2009
  • West Cornwall
    • Movement is Life
Re: Selecting solar panels
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 03:01:00 pm »
We had our installation done via ZLC energy in 2012 - we had got quotes from 3 separate outfits and ZLC, although not the cheapest, was most forthcoming in answering questions etc. We also managed to get a slightly larger array with their help.
We didn't enquire further into how the warranty was backed.
We found ZLC to be helpful and they worked hard to sort out an issue that we had regarding Western Power and a local transformer that kept tripping out.
We're in West Cornwall

cloddopper

• Joined Jun 2013
  • South Wales .Carmarthenshire. SA18
Re: Selecting solar panels
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 01:41:57 pm »
Installation companies come & go .
You should have a certificate of correct installation & commissioning   that is tied to an insured source to cover the warrantee period .

I think ours was a simple 3 yrs cover aginst faulty materials & workmanship .

Panels themselves  can go faulty  they are not too expensive to replace . If you get a lightening strike in the area that knocks off your electrical gear  do also get a full check done on the panels & inverter . Should it be found faulty you might be able to claim on your house insurance policy .

The inverters aren't that expensive either if you need to replace one & they do appear to have very good manuals for setting them up .
Strong belief , triggers the mind to find the way ... Dyslexia just makes it that bit more amusing & interesting

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS