Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: limping pig  (Read 2232 times)

zackyb

• Joined Oct 2010
limping pig
« on: July 13, 2017, 03:35:05 pm »
Hello would appreciate some advice please.

I keep pigs outdoors and I breed them, I bought a sow for the first time from auction last Saturday - to keep fatten for meat. She appeared to be in good condition, thought I saw a very faint limp when she was walking about in the field the first day and she was a bit nervous but to be expected as she doesn't know me yet.

The day after she did have a limp  - but eating and drinking fine. Day three it was more pronounced and her leg was shaking and although eating and drinking okay she looked unhappy. I injected betamox and rapidexon and it improved slightly but it got worse and she is still limping badly.

The field she is in is grass and woodchip and she is in the field with friendly younger pigs so she has not been fighting. I cant get close enough to touch her leg and foot but she does not have temperature and it doesn't look swollen. She can bend it as is 'kneeling' on that foot when she stops to eat or drink.
Any ideas, advice much appreciated. Thanks

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: limping pig
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 05:53:12 am »
Do you think its possible that she might of been sent to the auction because she was lame. Is there a long acting painkiller that would of taken 3 days to wear off? Or maybe she was an indoor pig and she's not used to the excercise and has just pulled a muscle, or twisted a leg?

I think I'd have to bring her in let her rest it and monitor closely. If your experienced and can't examine her I don't see the point in getting a vet to tell you what you already know?

harmony

• Joined Feb 2012
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 09:54:23 am »
If it was an auction and she could have gone for kill then the previous owner would have had to have declared any medication but who knows.....

If you have treated and it has not improved then you do need the vet and you need to find a way of restraining her. 

How do you know what her temperature is?

If you can't see any swelling then it could be a very deep seated abscess.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 03:11:20 pm »
If you have treated and it has not improved then you do need the vet and you need to find a way of restraining her. 
How do you know what her temperature is?
If you can't see any swelling then it could be a very deep seated abscess.
I agree.  If it's an abscess it needs treatment quickly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS