Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Bracken Control  (Read 5080 times)

CharlieMarson

• Joined Jan 2017
Bracken Control
« on: June 21, 2017, 01:13:06 pm »
Hi,  I have small upland oak wood with a big bracken problem.  Having read earlier postings I think I am going to go down the multiple cutting route.  Does anyone have any recommendations for the best/robust trimmer? Rechargable? petrol?  I'm not very big so nothing too hefty!  Also what protection do i need when cutting it?  Obviously won't be cutting in sporing season...But is it obvious when that starts? 
Thanks!

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
Re: Bracken Control
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 09:47:46 am »
Something with a solid blade.  All depends how much you want to spend and how much you will use it.  The battery powered ones are good nowadays and not as noisy as petrol.  Best thing to do is go find a shop that stocks a few different types and hold them to see how they feel.
Wear some eye protection (safety glasses or goggles), and a pair of ear plugs if you are going to be doing it for long periods.  And steel toe cap boots.
Cut as soon as the majority of the fronds are unfurled, them repeat as necessary throughout the year. As for sporing, I think it's mid-jul through august, depending on where you are, so get it cut before then.

Dave J

• Joined May 2016
  • South Wales
  • Retired from mainstream work, busier than ever
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 11:14:48 am »

I have a smaller but similar problem. I have used a petrol brushcutter, which is effective but very heavy and tiring. I am currently experimenting with using a battery hedgecutter to chop bracken near the ground, followed by manual clearing with a rake, and then I will harrow to disturb the roots.

I bought a Qualcast trimmer at Argos (c£55). The battery lasts longer than I do each session, maybe 40 minutes.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 03:54:46 pm »
I've used a long reach hedgecutter before for brambles - worked better than a brushcutter!  Just angle the head so that its fairly level with the ground and just walk along cutting as you go - no swinging required!

I have a Mountfield Freedom48 brushcutter (and long reach polesaw/hedgecutter, oh and the chainsaw too (they use the same battery)).  This has been perfect for me, not very heavy, battery lasts about 45min on the brushcutter, and ages on the hedgecutter.  There is a new incarnation of these now Mountfield/Stiga (https://www.mowers-online.co.uk/stiga-sbc80-ae-80v-cordless-loop-handle-brush-cutter-no-battery?utm_source=google-product-search-us-en&utm_medium=product_search&utm_campaign=google-product-search-us-en&gclid=Cj0KEQjw4cLKBRCZmNTvyovvj-4BEiQAl_sgQpzKLlf-USNaVdSnrqBisZrl0KUM40RkFpK913CH378aApmv8P8HAQ), which has a harness so you can carry the battery pack on your back.  80v I think, so much bigger battery than the Freedom48 (48V).

mab

• Joined Mar 2009
  • carmarthenshire
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2017, 07:49:28 pm »
If you are cutting i'd suggest an Austrian scythe; no batteries,  no moving parts to break and very quiet.
 Although to get the best out of it you will need to learn how to sharpen it.

Foobar

• Joined Mar 2012
  • South Wales
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017, 10:08:48 am »
I did some bracken cutting with my brushcutter last night (for a while before i got eaten alive by midges).  On rough ground was actually a right pain, I will be going back with the hedge cutter.  I scythe too, but on rough undulating ground (like I was on last night) it's too hard, the long reach hedge cutter will be easier.  I agree though, scything on flat ground is the best way to deal with bracken, but don't use your best blade.

Still playing with tractors

• Joined Jul 2012
  • Cumbernauld
  • You can never have enough HP
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2017, 11:41:50 am »
There are specific bracken basher attachments for quads, if you don't have one, try your local machinery ring, they might have someone on their books.

http://www.glendaleengineering.co.uk/agricultural/atv-trailersview/bracken-basher/197

CharlieMarson

• Joined Jan 2017
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 06:55:21 pm »
Thanks everyone. Really good info.  Think I've missed the boat this year but something to look forward to next year ?!!

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 05:44:21 pm »
Use a bit of wood 4 foot across with handles on each end - walk and crush it.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS