Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Going rates for letting out a field? (In Dorset)  (Read 2761 times)

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
Going rates for letting out a field? (In Dorset)
« on: June 20, 2017, 08:06:07 pm »
Any ideas what the going rates are for letting out a field for grazing. No facilities other than a water supply.

I found it quite hard to get any solid figures, but £20 a month per acre seemed to be about right?

Also what restrictions on types of livestock would be advisable. (Sheep probably the best bet, what about Alpacas?)

Cheers,

Richard.

bj_cardiff

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Carmarthenshire
Re: Going rates for letting out a field? (In Dorset)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 08:48:03 am »
I pay £100 an acre p.a. for 9 aqcres I rent from a neighbour and have done for 7 or so yrs. No restrictions and I use all year round. I put sheep in the well fenced part and horses (with electric) in the poorly fenced part. The sheep field has water the horses field doesn't.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:15:36 am »
Depends on type of grazing too. Good young ley will be more than old permanent pasture. Temporary or permanent let? How many acres? £20/acre seems a lot per month though especially if it needs fencing. If you want horses then they will pay more but ruin your ground in the process. Sheep will improve it, I wouldn't have alpacas if you also have cattle on the holding and in a high risk TB area.

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 10:16:11 am »
Basically there are several things to consider here, like:
   How long is a piece of string?
   How much are people in your area prepared to pay?
   How big is the field?
   How good is your actual land - is it flat, fertile and well fenced or rough and unfenced?
   How much is your bottom line for having someone else on your land and potentially making a mess?

£20/acre/month, ie £240/year is reasonable for good land where you would get that much in annual rent from an arable farmer, providing it's a reasonable sized field.
If you were to let it for horses and it was well fenced you could get £15/acre/week.
I pay about £120/acre/year for cattle/sheep grazing, with no water and I repair the fences. I wouldn't pay £240/year unless it was something really special as farming isn't that profitable.
Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

richardtheboffin

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 06:15:39 pm »
Basically there are several things to consider here, like:
   How long is a piece of string?
   How much are people in your area prepared to pay?
   How big is the field?
   How good is your actual land - is it flat, fertile and well fenced or rough and unfenced?
   How much is your bottom line for having someone else on your land and potentially making a mess?

£20/acre/month, ie £240/year is reasonable for good land where you would get that much in annual rent from an arable farmer, providing it's a reasonable sized field.
If you were to let it for horses and it was well fenced you could get £15/acre/week.
I pay about £120/acre/year for cattle/sheep grazing, with no water and I repair the fences. I wouldn't pay £240/year unless it was something really special as farming isn't that profitable.

Well it's a 4.5 Acre field.

What defines 'well fenced'? Proper post and rail I assume?

I've heard that horses 'ruin' land, but  £15 per acre per week sounds a lot. Is that because horsey types will pay more?

To be honest, I'm not expecting to get rich quick, I'm more interested in not having any problems letting it out!

landroverroy

• Joined Oct 2010
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 11:38:46 pm »
Well fenced doesn't have to be post and rail. It just needs to have posts that will stand up to animals that it's keeping in, and fencing that will stop them escaping - eg stock fencing with 2 rows of barbed wire will keep most things in. 4 rows of barbed wire will keep cattle and horses in.

Yes horse owners will pay more.

Rules are made:
  for the guidance of wise men
  and the obedience of fools.

twizzel

• Joined Apr 2012
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 09:34:17 am »
Horses generally pay per head per week- so 4.5 acres would probably keep 3 or 4 horses, if no facilities (sandschool, stables) probably £10/head/week is nearer the mark. BUT be prepared that horses are selective grazers, will encourage docks/thistles/buttercups (especially if the field is not poo picked) and will trash it during winter. Horsey folk in general don't seem to understand grass management. So it depends if you're more interested in money, or keeping your field in good condition ! 4.5 acres on its own will probably not appeal to a commercial sheep farmer though especially if it's not fenced properly... maybe it is worth instead having a cut of hay off it each year and selling small bales?

juliem

• Joined Aug 2014
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 02:30:41 pm »
I had some horses on a field which killed a horsechestnut tree by eating the bark...believe me it's not worth the hassle however much rent you get
I have 12 acres all stock fenced/water and rent out for £60 per acre for sheep...they keep the grass tidy and improve it. I also enjoy having them around the place....if they do get out...they never cause much damage (not like cattle)
All I aim to do is make enough money to pay for the hedges to be cut and any improvements to fencing/and buy an occasional bottle of PASTER to kill the weeds every few years...(while it's still available)
Hay seems a good idea.
Too many people round my way who have a few acres and offer free grazing for sheep to keep it tidy.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS