Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Reclaiming VAT on new buildings  (Read 2626 times)

AndrewMawson

• Joined Jun 2009
  • East Sussex
Reclaiming VAT on new buildings
« on: June 20, 2017, 12:49:34 pm »
I'm not VAT registered, my  turnover is far to small for compulsory registration, however I have a Tractor Shed about to be built on which there is a considerable amount of VAT to pay.

Should I voluntarily register for VAT in order to be able to claim the VAT back. I'd probably need to form a Limited Company and register that company.

Anyone been down this path before ? Any brambles across the path on the way?

All advice appreciated
AWEM
East Sussex

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
Re: Reclaiming VAT on new buildings
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017, 01:33:38 pm »
You can register for VAT as a sole trader, so a limited company may not be necessary. Have you been 'trading' at all before now?

As to the technicalities of VAT reclaims, I'd suggest you go and see a farm accountant - they'll put you right, for sure.
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Old Shep

• Joined Feb 2011
  • North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 09:01:38 pm »
As Womble says you can register for VAT without being a limited company.  Its not too difficult doing your quarterly VAT returns and you'll be surprised how little bits of vat add up in your claim.  A farm accountant would help but you may have a local bookkeeper who would be much cheaper.
Helen - (used to be just Shep).  Gordon Setters, Border Collies and chief lambing assistant to BigBennyShep.

Womble

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Stirlingshire, Central Scotland
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 09:36:57 pm »
I only say farm accountant because we went with a regular small business accountant, which turned out to be a mistake. Cue lots of arguments as to whether money spent on fencing or drainage was allowable as a business expense or not, for instance......  :-\

So, if you're choosing an accountant from scratch, you might as well pick one who already knows about farming!
"All fungi are edible. Some fungi are only edible once." -Terry Pratchett

Rupert the bear

• Joined Jun 2015
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 09:45:11 pm »
Whenever possible  I always try to use my ex accountants checkout when shopping and hope I have lots of items that wont scan................

No , not bitter. :rant: :rant: :rant:

bazzais

• Joined Jan 2010
    • Allt Y Coed Farm and Campsite
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 06:34:52 pm »
If your registering specifically to get the VAT back - you may run into trouble (not likely)

Your not the first person to think of it. ;)

New builds are 0 rated in terms of labour and most costs - so say your - renovating ;) if you do register for the VAT

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS