Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Is there an attachment for a quad/ATV to cut hay?  (Read 24676 times)

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
Is there an attachment for a quad/ATV to cut hay?
« on: July 04, 2010, 04:56:04 pm »
i wonder if anyone can help me here.  we have about 4 acres of pasture, split between 2 fields and in the summer we find that one of the fields gets away from us every year and we end up having to ask the local farmer to come and top it for us.  It seems to me that this is a huge waste of potential feed for our livestock.  of course i could ask the farmer to cut hay for us, but he isnt terribly dependable (i asked him 3 weeks ago to top the field and i still havent seen him),i know he is busy so i dont like to keep asking.

ideally i'd like to be in control myself and the ideal would be a way of taking hay or haylage ourselves.  we only have a quad bike/atv, so whatever we did would have to be something that we could attach to that.

does anyone know if such a gadget exists, and if it does, what is it called?  and more importantly, where can i get a cheap one?

many thanks ???

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
Re: Is there an attachment for a quad/ATV to cut hay?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 05:16:48 pm »
Does your quad/ATV have a PTO drive? What size engine does it have. There are soloutions but its very dependant on the power of you machine and its attachment facility.

Worst case scenario, buy and old finger mower and that could be towed behind the quad or landy or 4x4 etc, bailing will be a different matter. At the end of the day its going to come down to money, don't rule out a small old tractor and a old small bailer MF or Ransom.

Gordon M

• Joined Sep 2009
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 11:21:40 am »
I've got the same problem egglady, got 7 acres and a 660cc quad which is ok for most jobs. I ended up buying a flail mower to keep the place under control but have hardly used it as we have cattle and sheep doing that for us now. The flail mower cost a fortune, as do trailers , harrows etc as there is such a small market for ATV attachments there aren't too many attachments available, I haven't seen any hay bobs or bailers for them and if they do exist, will be very expensive. In retrospect, I should have got myself an old tractor and most likely will get one next year and then get rid of all the ATV attachments. Being a motorcyclist, I'll keep the quad as it's now one of my favourite "TOYS", it's bonkers really.
There are occasionally old tractors for sale on ebay for not too much money but I've found this lovely looking Massey Harris coming up for auction at Wilsons in Dalry in a couple of weeks.
http://www.wilsonsauctions.com/scotlandcommercials.asp
Someone will get a nice wee tractor at that sale!!

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 01:11:40 pm »
Hello Gordon The 820 was or is an upgrade from a Pony and there is a mid-mounted finger mower also by M-H that drives from the pulley on the back but not a good buy I have never seen one with hydraulics.Look for a Grey Fergie there is a whole range of hay making stuff with Ferguson on it and a lot more that will fit the cat 1 linkage.The A-C did a similar tractor but hydraulics was available for it.They even had a baler for it as well
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 01:14:52 pm by Wizard »
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Le Recoignot

• Joined Oct 2009
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 03:53:09 pm »
Have you considered a pedestrian motor scythe for cutting?

Norfolk Newby

• Joined Aug 2009
  • West Norfolk, UK
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 05:33:51 pm »
I am not trying to promote this company, but Northern Tool have several mowers which have their own engines and are designed to be towed behind a quad big or small tractor which doesn't have a power take off or other form of drive available.

Have a look at this link

http://www.northerntooluk.com/agriculture-equipment/towed-equipment/145hp-1524mm-trailmower-14560e.html

As you can see, it isn't cheap but it might do what you want. There are other similar machines in the range, so look at the NT web site to see the others if this idea is of interest.

NN
Novice - growing fruit, trees and weeds

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 07:58:14 pm »
Its a long time since I had to fix a Allen Scythe It is a self propelled finger mower about a 3 foot cut There maybe one on Ebay :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 10:23:28 pm »
I've the same challenge. Look on eBay for a mower costs 750 - 2500 ish depends what you want to pay how old etc. Toucan get harrows for 170. The challenge is bailing which I've not conquered so have to pay someone to come and do that.

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 09:12:22 pm »
Dont even consider it on a quad - it will cost a fortune and end up with dubious results.

Most economical way would be:

Old tractor (Massey / Int Harvester) + Old drum Mower + Old Hay Turner + Old Baler.

Finger mowers are OK but tend to clog and are soooooo slow.

If your grass is very good expect around 100 bales per acre if not (or Dry like this year) expect a lot less.

Thanks

www.suppliesforsmallholders.co.uk - Safe Secure shopping for all your livestock equipment and supplies.
Also www.suppliesforfarmers.co.uk for more larger farm related items

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 07:47:47 am »
It's fine to have an old Fergie 20 or B250 or B275 even better a Dexta or the like. If it wont go I hit it with a hammer and it does.Do you know where to hit yours if it don't go?There id not a lot of chaps that do without you know a vintage tractor enthusiast They are not remotely like a modern tractor other than they have 2 big wheels at the rear and 2 small ones at the front.Go into a large newsagents in the town and look in the back of Vintage Tractor - Tractor and Farm Machinery - or even Classic Tractor There are dozens of them for sale Scrap to like brand new Don't forget a dazzling coat of two coat paint does not make a good tractor Get someone who knows about them to go with you to look Another snag Transport can be as much as the machine you buy if it is transported very far.A pal with a 6 wheel Ifor is the best bet by far.Why do you need to go like hell a good I-H or M-F hydraulic 51/2foot finger mower will do all you want to do in a day.Can you find a Vicon Acrobat It will Ted Swath and Spread all in one machine.You have a choice of balers stick to a New Holland 68 Hayliner or a IH B46 They are easy to mend when they go wrong and they do especial if it looks like rain I know Ive had over 50 years experience.You may be flush and can afford a Rollant or Heston have you got the tackle to move 1 ton bales? and where do you put them?Wow he does goo on don't E ??? ;D :farmer: :wave:

chickenfeed

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 07:57:22 am »
 ;) you cant beat a vintage tractor

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 08:00:20 am »
So long as you know where to hit it!

Cobra

• Joined Jun 2010
  • Somerset
    • Millers Of Sedgemoor
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 11:10:17 pm »
Youve got a message, maybe no good to you but thought of you.  :farmer:

egglady

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 11:18:32 pm »
Dont even consider it on a quad - it will cost a fortune and end up with dubious results.

Most economical way would be:

Old tractor (Massey / Int Harvester) + Old drum Mower + Old Hay Turner + Old Baler.

Finger mowers are OK but tend to clog and are soooooo slow.

If your grass is very good expect around 100 bales per acre if not (or Dry like this year) expect a lot less.

Thanks

100 bales per acre???  blooming heck i'm on the case now!  was going to stick a wee post up asking for thoughts about something else but think you have convinced me!

Helencus

• Joined Feb 2010
  • NW Leicestershire
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 08:11:58 am »
Tbh egglady the guy who does my hay has told me it's too small and out the way to do it next year so I'm looking to get sorted with a tractor etc for next year now. Quad is great til you need to roll and bale.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS