Smallholders Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Anyone recommend how to remove a wasp nests in my shed?  (Read 35362 times)

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
Anyone recommend how to remove a wasp nests in my shed?
« on: July 04, 2010, 01:37:34 pm »
Would you give this a go and if so how or should I call the professionals? And I don't mean Bodie and Doyle!

bamford6

Re: Anyone recommend how to remove a wasp nests in my shed?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2010, 02:51:29 pm »
you can get a gas set from the hardware shop put it in let it off thats it

Mickyork

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Yeadingham, North Yorkshire
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2010, 05:37:02 pm »
I had a wasps nest in my garage & in the night when they was not active I sprayed the nest with a whole can of strong wasp killer/fly spray & in the morning there was a pile of dead wasps on the floor below the nest. There was a couple left alive but they were real dopey & I sprayed them again. Probably a stupid thing to do, but it worked
Live for today. Tomorrow never comes

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2010, 10:59:21 pm »
We had one in our loft - John was away climbing and I panicked!  I got roof sealant to seal the eaves where they were coming and going - doing about 2 inches at a time then running away, then a little more etc etc.  Then went into the loft and sprayed the nest  (it was absolutely beautiful by the way)with bug killer, ran out for a while, then ran in and did the same again - a good few times.  But they came down the CH pipes into the lounge trying to escape and half dead so we had to keep out of there for a few days, then clear up the mess.  I would recommend getting professionals in. ::)
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Fleecewife

• Joined May 2010
  • South Lanarkshire
    • ScotHebs
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2010, 11:34:10 pm »
Wasps are highly beneficial in the garden.  I have watched them patrol the lettuces and brassicas in a grid pattern, picking off any caterpillars etc.  If possible I try to live with them. They build their nests from tiny mouthfuls of wood chewed with little scritching noises from unpainted doors etc.  Works of art  :) OH found a nest made by tiny wasps in last years hay when he was moving it a couple of days ago - lots of tiny cells like fungi.  He got stung once but moved it on a shovel to an alternative home.  If you can bear not to go into your shed for a few months, the wasps will die off in the Autumn anyway and you can collect the nest to have a good look.
"Let's not talk about what we can do, but do what we can"

There is NO planet B - what are YOU doing to save our home?

Do something today that your future self will thank you for - plant a tree

Love your soil - it's the lifeblood of your land.

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 09:28:14 am »
That's all very well but we all have to live, work and eat.  My advice is still to get rid of them somehow or other.  Either get someone in to kill them off or remove them if you feel philanthropic.  There are plenty of other wasps around.  Bees do much the same job anyway and they will only sting if really upset.  Bees are becoming extinct unless we help them, they die if they sting, wasps don't, they can sting at will and live on, and will sting just because you happen to be in their path.  As you may gather I hate wasps!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Hermit

• Joined Feb 2010
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2010, 12:35:21 pm »
Dont have wasps in Shetland but I would call the pros in if it is causing a nuisance only, not just cause its there. I had one above my kitchen window down south and it was less than fifty quid to get it removed. My daughters old school started a 'fruit break' where all the children were given a fruit at their morning playtime. Well you can guess.. wasps everywhere! It was soon stopped. Wasps are usually most dangerous around fruit ripening time as they get drunk on the sugars.

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2010, 12:53:28 pm »
Hello agen Annie love Not as much as I hate the rotten things Have you ever really watched one The sting comes out of its rear when it walks about like a nervous twitch.Trap one on the window sill with a bit of fruit and a drinking glass you can see through over it and make your own observations.I have managed to kill 3 Queens this year.You cannot do this in the shed but a spoon of cyanide down the hole after dark makes em poorly sick I can tell you. ??? :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

belgianblue

• Joined Jun 2010
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 09:31:49 pm »
ring the professionals they have the right product to remove wasp nests

Anke

• Joined Dec 2009
  • St Boswells, Scottish Borders
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 10:16:49 pm »
Wasps  are actually quite different from bees, both in their feeding habits and their behaviour towards humans (or animals). They do eat rotten fruit etc and are quite useful. However if a nest is near regular human traffic I would remove it, as they are quite aggressive when you get close it. Not sure if moving a nest works, as they might have the same way of finding their way home as bees have, and therefore you would have to move them at night when they are all in and outwith their normal flying radius (not sure what that it, but probably a couple of miles). Someone else might know.

Also when you are stung by a wasp, dash inside, cut an onion in half and rub onto sting, Reduces swelling and calms it down a bit. I have been stung by wasps (and bees) quite a few times, but so far lived to tell the tale, it's not that bad.

We had  (unbeknown to us) a nest last year in our makeshift firechamber for the smoking set-up, and right next to it I stored the vegtable/fruit stuff we get from the greengrocer for the pigs. Got stung a few times, as putting my hand into the bucket was not safe... We did however not find the nest until well into winter, and so wasps had a good year!

Daisy

• Joined Mar 2010
  • Near Earlston Scottish Borders
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 10:19:47 pm »
Ant powder works well, espcially if you can put it where the wasps have to go through it to get into the nest

Wizard

• Joined Nov 2009
  • North East Lincolnshire
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 08:01:04 am »
I am Britains biggest coward when it comes to things like this they are easy in a hole in the ground but in a shed or a roof!? DO NOT BUGGER ABOUT WITH THEM. GET AN EXPERT IN. WITHOUT YOU HAVE ACCESS TO CYANIDE OR SIMILAR. THEY ARE VERY VERY DANGEROUS THINGS IF YOU UPSET THEM AND HORNETS ARE WORSE Are you allergic to more than a couple of stings I know a chap now passed away poor chap not from wasp stings but he had a go at one and they retaliated and he swelled up like a football and was in hospital quite a while recovering. ??? :'( with the pain :farmer:
Don't do today what can be put off until tomorrow because today will be yesterday tomorrow

trefnantbach

• Joined Feb 2010
  • Anglesey
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2010, 01:13:10 pm »
petrol and a match worked well for a wasp nest the size of a mellon I found the the hedge - but I would'nt risk it in a shed!

JulieS

• Joined Mar 2009
  • Devon - EX39 5RF
    • Ford Mill Farm
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 03:16:03 pm »
I was quoted £89 for Rentokil to come to deal with a wasp nest here!   Instead I went to Mole Valley Farmers and bought a tin of 'wasp nest destroyer'.  Brilliant!

It is a foam that you spray into and around the entrance of the nest from 3 metres away, early morning or early evening.

Under a fiver too.   :)
Pedigree GOS Pigs and Butchery for Smallholders.

Fishyhaddock

• Joined Apr 2009
  • aberdeenshire
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 02:12:23 pm »
In the end bought some west nest destroyer £4.99 and it worked brilliantly.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS