Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: BBC2 8pm tonight - The Private Life of Chickens  (Read 6339 times)

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
Re: BBC2 8pm tonight - The Private Life of Chickens
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 03:36:11 pm »
It's on again next Monday at 8pm too - that's when I've got it Sky+'d! Thought the cows one was a bit silly!
can you please tell me wat side it on i carnt find it thank you sam :chook:

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 04:03:05 pm »
Clcik this link - shoudl take you straight to BBC 2 I player, and this programme.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00t3tl1/The_Private_Life_of..._Chickens/
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

sam.t

• Joined Mar 2009
  • goole east yorkshire
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 06:03:47 pm »
thanks but found it so set to tape tried i player but internet through a dongle so it keeps stopping program really annoying
sam :chook:

Sharondp

• Joined Jun 2009
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 07:25:04 pm »
BBC HD next Monday at 8pm  :)

Sandy

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2010, 09:10:48 pm »
Very interesting ???

Hardfeather

« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2010, 11:36:07 am »
It was an interesting program, but I feel they missed a few points when they showed the hens' reactions to predators. The program demonstrated how quickly and decisively fowl react to winged predators, but seemed slightly disappointed that their reaction to the stuffed fox seemed to point toward a scenario where the hens were ‘sitting ducks’, apparently showing very little concern.

I saw a fox in a grass field with about fifteen pheasants going about. It was September month, so the pheasants were well grown and fit. The fox was walking around nonchalantly, sniffing at this and that, whilst sneaking an odd glance at the birds. I had the glass on him so I could see his eyes as he looked at what he was doing on the ground, but flashed them over the surrounding scene frequently.

The pheasants were alert and keeping a good eye on the fox. Any time he got too close, they would sprint a few strides to keep an even distance between themselves and the fox. The rest of the time they just kept a good eye and gave warning calls. The fox moved around and changed his gait a few times, but it was obvious he was not going to get lucky so he eventually trotted off into the wood, and the pheasants, after about ten minutes of unease, settled into their normal routine. Out of sight is out of mind with pheasants.

Hens will always run for cover in the event of an aerial threat, but to do the same in the face of a ground predator would render them vulnerable by reducing their available escape options.

I think the reactions of those hens in the program were perfectly normal in respect of ground predators. Wild, natural fowl, such as the jungle fowl they showed, are pretty fit and agile. They have broad wings, powerful breast muscle, and strong thighs. These are all attributes if a sudden  reactionary flight is demanded to escape an attack by a ground predator. These birds rely on this for their survival and feel fairly confident, even in quite close proximity to the predator.

The fox looks for sign of weakness or disability in his victim. The pheasant becomes alert, sharp, and looks sleek and well. It’s a stand off which can swing either way, or dwindle quickly to nothing.

Domestic poultry are, in the main, very far removed from their wild originators. They may be programmed to believe in their ability to keep a safe distance from the fox, and to make a flashy escape in the event of attack, but they are totally unable to produce the goods.

The fox recognises this almost immediately. This is why it will often forego the ‘dance of enlightenment’ where the partners gauge the potential of the other, and simply dash in and grab itself a meal.

I’ve seen foxes around hen runs getting really excited and dashing around, pulling at the netting and desperately seeking access. This is a very different approach from the scene with the fox and the pheasants above. This, I believe, is why so much damage is done by foxes in a hen run, and it’s because the fox, rather than catching one bird and scattering the rest, as would be the case with pheasants, just keeps seeing, every time he looks, another bird which is badly kitted -out for survival, in close proximity, so he kills it.

Of course, much depends on the fox, too, as experienced, older foxes will act very differently to big cubs both around pheasants and poultry.

I keep old-fashioned game fowl. They are flashy birds, capable of strong flight in just about any direction, and very like wild stock in their wariness of their surroundings. I have lost some to foxes. However, I believe that most of them were caught by being hampered in their escape by buildings or fences. Out in the open it would take a very fast fox to nail them. The few hens I’ve lost have been lifted off eggs, just about the time the chicks can first be heard within. I have lost quite a few cocks over the years, but I believe they were killed trying to defend their hens.

Indeed, one morning, having been alerted by squawking fowl, I met a young fox, with its tail between its legs (metaphorically), running from the garden with its ears locked back onto the object of its fright. When I turned the corner, my game hens were atop the sheds and the cock was standing square in the middle of the garden, with fire in his eyes and tufts of fox fur floating in the air around him. It’s not unknown for this to happen with gamecocks. Ever vigilant and equipped, as they are, with much vigour and gameness, and very long, sharp spurs, they are a force to be reckoned with if they decide to have a go. Perhaps I am sitting on a gold mine, as gamecocks may be the very thing to protect the laying flock. ;D

The presence of crops, such as potatoes and grain, around my hen runs are added complications which work greatly in favour of the fox, as these give him the chance to approach unseen and observe the birds before making an explosive entry onto the killing arena. When that happens, it has to be a very fit and highly reactive bird which will save itself. I have often gone out to my hens and seen the parting of the barley as an unseen fox has made its way off at my disturbance, yet the birds were oblivious to his presence.

So, in conclusion, I think the hybrid hens in the program were acting very much instinctively and naturally to the presence of the fox, but were ill-equipped to react successfully to save themselves in the event of an attack.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 11:55:42 am by AengusOg »

doganjo

• Joined Aug 2012
  • Clackmannanshire
  • Qui? Moi?
    • ABERDON GUNDOGS for work and show
    • Facebook
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2010, 12:49:17 pm »
Brilliant reading, Angus, thank you!
Always have been, always will be, a WYSIWYG - black is black, white is white - no grey in my life! But I'm mellowing in my old age

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS