Agri Vehicles Insurance from Greenlands

Author Topic: Hens have stopped laying!  (Read 3179 times)

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
Hens have stopped laying!
« on: June 15, 2017, 02:10:53 pm »
This has never happened before. Not even the longest day yet and lucky if I get 4 eggs a day from my 30-odd hens  :(

They are a range of ages - some old girls, a couple of pure breeds and some 2 - 3 y o hybrids, but 9 in their first season and 6 more at 18 months. Run with 2 cockerels (one was hatched last year) - and even they are mysteriously quiet.

Wormed seven months ago and no sign of illness or mites. All free range - but I have kept them in for 5 days to check that they weren't 'laying away'. No indication of unusual predators or stress.

Any ideas?

Backinwellies

• Global Moderator
  • Joined Sep 2012
  • Llandeilo Carmarthenshire
    • Nantygroes
    • Facebook
Re: Hens have stopped laying!
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2017, 05:13:30 pm »
Weather?
Linda

Don't wrestle with pigs, they will love it and you will just get all muddy.

Let go of who you are and become who you are meant to be.

http://nantygroes.blogspot.co.uk/
www.nantygroes.co.uk
Nantygroes  facebook page

waterbuffalofarmer

• Joined Apr 2014
  • Mid Wales
  • Owner of 61 Mediterranean water buffaloes
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 06:56:39 pm »
Hmmmm curious.... I have had similar with mine. How much are you giving them in layers pellets and how many times are they fed? Ours stopped even on layers pellets so we give them 3 quarters layers and 1 quarter mixed corn, they seem to be laying very well on that ATM. They have fresh grass and we give them carrots and squash membrane with some grated garlic. It could be anything, nutrition, weather changes also. We used to give ours finely chopped seaweed and that also helps laying too. Hope this helps :)
the most beautiful people we have known are those who have known defeat, known suffering, known struggle, known loss and have found their way out of the depths. These persons have an appreciation, a sensitivity and an understanding of life that fills them with compassion, gentleness, loving concern.

chrismahon

• Joined Dec 2011
  • Gascony, France
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 05:15:26 am »
Could be worms as they are free ranging and were previously wormed over 6 months ago- presume you used Flubenvet? Sometimes rapid changes in temperature causes them to stop laying- it has swung from 35C down to 25C here and then back up and some of ours have stopped. Of course some will start moulting as well.

Worth checking that it isn't a predator taking eggs as rats, squirrels, magpies will go into the coop and carry eggs off.

Eve

• Joined Jul 2010
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2017, 10:01:49 am »
One of my two flocks is laying less than normal too, rather irregularly, as are my friend's chickens. Maybe they're just so surprised to get more than a few days of summer in one year for a change  :D

milliebecks

• Joined Sep 2015
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2017, 01:21:07 pm »
Well thanks everyone. At least I know I'm not alone!

Don't think it's the weather. I'm in the far north of Scotland and whilst it's been pretty fair, 30C is but a dream!

Feed-wise, they get layers pellets (about 100g each) in the morning and a small handful of mixed corn in the afternoon. Out on grass all day, most days and the odd bolted greenery from the veg garden. So pretty much the same as you Waterbuffalofarmer. Interested in the seaweed idea. I have given them 'poultry spice' and the occasionally have apple cider vinegar in the water.

No squirrels or magpies and no evidence of rats .... although I'm sure there will be some about. There's normally someone here during the day, so nest boxes are checked regularly and we would hear any alarm caused by predators.

So, time to worm again - assuming I can find Flubenvet, which seems increasingly hard to get hold of. Anyone swear by Vermex? Never tried it myself.

Thanks for your suggestions .... :)

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2017, 08:27:33 pm »
A few years ago when we had a very warm dry spring, my birds had an early moult.

Not as early as this but it knocked they off lay in about July.

Marches Farmer

• Joined Dec 2012
  • Herefordshire
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2017, 04:09:00 pm »
Early moult?  Do you have crows or jackdaws, weasels or stoats?

Dave C

• Joined Aug 2014
  • Teesdale, Co Durham
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2017, 07:52:19 pm »
Yeah now you mention it, it wasn't that early  :thinking:

Must stop drinking during the day  ::)

waddy

• Joined May 2012
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2017, 08:35:23 pm »
loads of mine are going broody and have stopped laying. We have gone down to about half production. Don't think the weather has helped.

Helen

Charlie1234

• Joined Feb 2017
  • Powys
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 12:49:30 am »
I was checking some fences in our paddock earlier and spotted a squirrel coming from the chicken coop,as I got closer he decided to drop his cargo and shoot up the nearest tree..

A quick call over my walkie talkie to the mrs and my .22 airgun was in my hands and the squirrel taken care of.
The egg was fully intact at the foot of the tree..Never had a problem with squirrels stealing eggs before.
5 Dogs,5 cats,40 chickens,2badger faced sheep + a full freezer

farmers wife

• Joined Jul 2009
  • SE Wales
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2017, 09:38:55 pm »
that is such a co-incidence I have noticed a drop and then a sudden drop the other day.   Yesterday I was walking in the track and noticed a few broken eggs there which I thought was rather strange.  There are a lot of squirrels here so I assume they have been taking them?  I need to get a gun as a serious cull is needed cant afford to lose eggs to these rats.

Forum sponsors

FibreHut Energy Helpline Thomson & Morgan Time for Paws Scottish Smallholder & Grower Festival Ark Farm Livestock Movement Service

© The Accidental Smallholder Ltd 2003-2024. All rights reserved.

Design by Furness Internet

Site developed by Champion IS